Basketball attendance

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Jetstorm, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Yeah, how dare LSU fans have a discussion about the state of their basketball program. This is the first thread about Brady I've seen where there was some decent discussion without attacking each other.

Until you showed up....

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I will say one thing, if I was the head coach I would do everything in my power to make sure that the program was runnig on all cylinders and would promote it as much as possible without it becoming a distraction or a hinderance to coaching, especially in the off-season when the team wasn't practicing. that's just protecting your own job and making it easier to both perform and to recruit. One lends itself to the other. If you run a business do you not go out and promote it even if you could be doing something else. I know I do and I have a total of 3 people working here. Everyone acts like it's derogatory to do some PR work, I disagree. Hell, the greatest coaches of all time have done it and still do, both for their team/program and for the sport in general.

3. Da-veed

Da-veed Freshman

Asking people not to trash the program is an attack in your opinion? You sound like the Okie fans being attacked with "Tiger bait" from 20 feet away.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Where was the trash in this thread?

And why can't you have an intelligent conversation without name calling?

5. Da-veed

Da-veed Freshman

I guess Tigerwins that you are taking this personal because my post came after yours. I assure you that as a two finger hunt and peck typist, that your post appeared while I was laboring through mine. You conceeded that most post about the basketball team have degenerated in to name calling attacks. I add to that many trashing Brady for his personal business and his personality.

If you took my capitalizing a few words for emphisis(sp) as yelling maybe you were reading your expectations into it. What I wrote was my opinion about the lack of support and some peoples attitude. I didn't call anyone out. I didn't use symbols like $#@@@&^* or try silly phonetic misspellings to hide the obvious.
    I know that comparing your reply to some thin skined Okies was viscious but get over it.

While the P-MAC looks pathetic using that as an excuse for not supporting these students is worse. We filled the stands in 2001 once people caught on to how good we were but in the mean time people missed some great efforts and fine Basketball. Even in football you have to go to a few dogs(UAB) to get to some real beauty( Tenn the following week) I stand by my post on another thread that Darrell Mitchell's heart and hustle is worth the price of admission alone.

6. Erin Krohl

Erin Krohl Founding Member

I wish I could attend a LSU basketball game, but that is hard to do from NC. (I do go down for a football game every year) . How about the $6 tix for AU - Man I'd be all over that!

So, those of you writing in who don't attend LSU Bball, but live in BR, go once for me...Thanks

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

A guy on the radio just made a good point. When Brady came to LSU he was paying under $300 for his Football season tickets and now it's closer to $700. For a lot of families there are only so many entertainment $$ to go around and something has to suffer.

8. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

Saban fan.. I agree and really have not taken that thought into account. There are just so many entertainment dollars that a family will actually spend in a year. I for one am very glad that there is not an NBA or NFL team near me.

I also reflected on the business approach to being a coach. I think the coach is the CEO and has different departments to work his plan. He has a recruiter (asst. coach), a scout (asst. coach) Operations guy (asst. coach) and an admin assistant. He does not have anyone on staff from what I have read to do marketing. Sure he has input, but he shouldn't be the one creating things. I do blame the athletic dept for not marketing the program better. I would like to know anyones thoughts on what more he could do to "promote" the program. I was at every game as a student in the early 80's. I camped out more than my share for games mainly because it was the thing to do as a student. There are so many things to do now as a student instead of going to a basketball game. I wish I had the answer, but I have suggested on here to at least get the game operations to a level of less than a morgue for excitement. At least Dale had the Tiger come out the ceiling on more than one occasion.

9. roygu

roygu Founding Member

It appears that Brady was correct. Reports indicate that the PMAC has been sold out for the Auburn game tomorrow night. If LSU wins the game, and puts up a good performance at Vandy, I would be willing to bet that we have good attendance for the rest of the season. Fans want to be entertained and they want to win.

10. LSU

LSU Founding Member

Let's just say no one has ever accused Brady of being intelligent or one who had any control over his passions.