Basketball coaching candidates?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SoLa in NoIll, Feb 8, 2003.

1. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Well, it looks like we may be seeing a new head man in the PMAC next year. If that happens, I'd expect Emmert and Skip to land an excellent, high-profile coach as we did with Saban. Other than Tim Floyd, who can/will they get?

2. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Tim Floyd won't come here to coach. Get that out of your head people. What is you thing with him.

3. roygu

roygu Founding Member

New Coach

Calhoun of Connecticut, ugh, no he lost two out of the last three.

Harrick of Georgia, ugh, No he lost two out the last three.

I guess Floyd is the man he is the only big name coach that I know of that is undefeated this year.

If we wait one more year, let Brady bring in anothe top ten recruiting class, then the new coach can step in and win immediately. If he comes in now, fans will be expecting him to take us to the final four immediately and start to boo as soon as the realize that he is no better than Brady.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Some of you guys act like we were freakin' Duke before probation hit. I hate to break it to you but except for a couple of seasons here and there, LSU has pretty much been the SEC's bitch in basketball since Bob Pettit was a freshman. What's the big deal about getting rid of Brady because the team is not doing well. Do you think a "high profile" coach wants to come here? Give me a break. Brady will be our coach next year. Get off his back and let him recruit. Your job is to support the team. No one on this board, to my knowledge, has anything to do with hiring and firing coaches at LSU. Jeezus. Get a life.

5. lsu nut

lsu nut Founding Member

LSU Basketball

will always be the second or third sport at LSU.

I know LSU does not have a great history of basketball--aside from Maravich, Petit, Oneal and the teams of the 80s---but Dale Brown did show that basketball will be supported by the fans when it is winning.

People talk about fair weather fans for basketball--I think this is for more than just one reason. One is you will always have more support no matter what the sport when you are winning. Second because there are more games in basketball people arent going to go to every game as often. I go to every football game each season--other that the four years I lived in Ft. Worth. Even when the basketball team is winning I dont even make half the games and I am a basketball fan; I also dont have enough money to spend going to all the basketball games.

If LSU does decide it needs a new basketball coach, then I think we can get a good one if we spend the money to get him.

Either way, I will still go see a few basketball games a year whether LSU is winning or losing. And yes I will probably go to more when they are winning than losing.

Any way Geaux Tigers:)

6. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

Good point, SabanFan. We should just accept mediocrity (or less) since "we've been the SEC's bitch" for so long. I guess those two Final Fours in the '80s, 10 plus straight years of NCAA tourney appearances, etc., etc. were all for naught. Since we've never won a national championship in basketball, we should just accept the fact that LSU will never produce a winner. Although we can produce winners in football, baseball, softball, track, etc., etc., we just can't do it in basketball because we've never done it before. You mentioned Duke -- how many championships did that school win prior to the arrival of Coach K? Fans and supporters that accept mediocrity will never see championships, but I guess they never expect to.

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Intelligent Coach?

SoLa, lets imagine you were a good BB coach at a successful program and Emmert called you tomorrow and asked if you were interested in the basketball job at LSU. First thing you would probably ask is where does Emmert expect the program to be in five years. Then when you looked at the facilities, where you would work and recruit to, you might have some questions. You might be curious as to what your predecessor had done. When you looked at his situation you see that the team has been on probation for the last few years and has had few scholarships to offer and fewer visits, with which to attract players. Then you would probably look at the record of the man you were expected to replace. You see that his team had beaten Arizona twice, Arkansas several times and won the SEC and went to the final sixteen with about seven players. While on probation, he has beaten every other coach in the league at least once.
    Then you might wonder how much security a new coach would have, since Brady has had to work under those handicaps during his tenure and as soon as the probation is over the Athletic Department starts loking for his replacement. hmmm?
    Wonder how much money would be required to entice an intelligent coach to LSU?

8. Jeffinbama

Jeffinbama Founding Member

I am very impressed with our so called basketball guru's ( not inclusive of Saban Fan) that think that they know something about the sport. Good thing they aren't at Alabama, I am sure they would want to get rid of Gotffried too. While you are at it, I am sure Mississippi State needs your help in getting rid of Stansbury.

I am sure the so called fans understand the ramifications that probation had on our basketball team. If you take the same percentage of scholarship loss in football that we lost in basketball, we would have been limited for 3 years to having only 17 on scholarship. Think that anyone in their right mind would have signed on to coach our team. Our football program would be in shambles if this were the case. I would think if the situation were the same, Nick Saban would have never come from Michigan St. Brady took over this program as the low point of probably its history.

If you really understand the situation, you would understand that this SHOULD be considered Brady's first year. He did miracle work as a coach under probation.

I hope you quit wasting your time belittling this basketball coach and begin to support the players by your attendance and support.

9. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Enough with the talk to get rid of Brady. What can they actually do right now during the season. "When the season is over, if you don't like the guy in charge, you can take shots all you want. I stand on my own." Like Brady said when the season is over you can take shots at him. Bashing him right now is getting us no where. If you really hate the guy and want the guy to go than complaing all the time on this message board will get nothing done. I challange an anti Brady person to actually get your point across to Skip or Emmert. Are you man enough to write a letter or email outlining the problem with Brady as coach.
    I will continue to support Brady until he either leaves or gets fired.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

No one is saying to accept mediocrity. You have got to crawl before you can walk. Brady has done more with less than anyone could have hoped for. His teams have always been competitive. Much more so than Dale's last few teams. And Dale did not labor under any sanctions. Now that we are suddenly removed from the sanctions, everyone expects instant success. Use Saban's
    recruiting class as an analogy. If he doesn't win the SEC outright next year he should be fired because he's got all these blue chippers? Of course not. You have to give him time to develop them into a NC caliber unit and time to add more talent to the roster. A lot of "fans" don't seem willing to give Brady time to see what he can do with a few years of full scholarship limits. And Roygu's post? I agree 100%.