Basketball Offense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Mar 18, 2004.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

With all the Brady talk and everyone riding him for the lack of offensive production...

If you are near a television watch Air Force run their offense - it's excellent and fun to admire - IMO we need something like this at LSU - check it out they are playing UNC right now.

2. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

well,

Its halftime and they are leading North Carolina and their players look confident.
    Who's their coach? :D :wink:

3. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

To be honest, I don't think I could watch this style of offense a whole basketball season. You implement this style of offense when you don't have to athletes on the court to compete much like an option style offense is used in football. I think it would be very hard to recruit and attract players that would be willing to come and play.

4. BB

BB Founding Member

His name is Joe Scott I think - not sure that we would consider him, but that offense is impressive. I don't know if it would be successful in the SEC, but I will tell you this: those kids know the offense, they believe in it and they run it - WE NEED THAT!

5. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

I don't necessarily agree. Duke moves the ball as well as anyone and they are twice as talented as most times this year...and athletic

6. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Founding Member

It does not matter about the motion. Duke does not slow down the game. Duke does not run the so call Princeton offense. Air Force runs the Princeton offense. Air Force slows the game. In fact, Air Force lead the nation in scoring defense directly correlated to their efficient slow paced Princeton style offense.

The only thing in common about Duke's and Air Force's offensive style is motion and that is where the comparison stops. The premise of the two offenses are totally different.

JMO, I do not care to watch a 48-42 game. That is what you get with a Princeton style offense.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The patented Pete Carill "Princeton Offense" is much more that just a slowdown method for a slow team of white guys to match up with a more talented team of better athletes. The Princeton Offense has been studied and broken down by many of the better basketball minds at all levels of the game. If fact, the New Jersey Nets have run a variation ot the Princeton Offense to reach the NBA finals the last 2 years.

8. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Any offense has to be better than no offense at all and thats what we have now. Who knows this guy might be a little more flexible than Brady and change the offense to fit the players if he were to inherit a more athletic team. What I like about him is that he seems to be able to teach his players an offense any offense and get them to execute it during a game. :geaux: :lsug: :bball:

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

To say you wouldn't want a team to run the Princeton offense is too look at it too simply. Kansas ran that offense for years when they didn't have a chance to fast break and now you will see Carolina run it more and more soon. It is a great offense that can be taken to several different levels depending on the skill and shooting ability of the players. The back door cutting is the most effective and the highest percentage play in basketball no matter how good the athletes are and also opens up more outside shots do to the dilligence with which a defense has to defend the cut. we ran a pass it around the horn till the shot clock was about to expire offense for the most part.

10. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

actually he is the guy who coached under Pete Carril at Princeton, hence that same offense.