Basketball v Coastal Carolina - WTF

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Dec 14, 2010.

1. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I remember many realizing that Brady had a tough task taking a severely hamstringed team from the Dale Brown situation. Many gave Brady a long leash because of that. Brady's schizophrenic results on and off the court were the downfall of him, but he was given lots of time. I'm not giving Trent Johnson a pass at this time, I'm kinda disappointed, but he seems to have a solid approach and has had big time success elsewhere. Maybe it will turn out that he can't hang in the SEC and at LSU (it's a different animal than many other big conferences).

I don't think it was unreasonable to be done with Brady, I don't think it is unreasonable to be frustrated with Miles and his staff for some of the same issues (at least inside the lines), and I don't think a healthy degree of frustration is uncalled for with regards to Coach Johnson. But a realistic fanbase has to give its coaches time to succeed. Johnson earned a lot in his first season and is having success outside the lines so far, so I think patience is warranted. A lot of us Miles bashers will quiet down quite a bit if Crowton is replaced. We're not totally unreasonable people.

2. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Not I. I'm the biggest Miles supporter on this site.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I am not saying that Brady needed to stay. On the contrary, it was high time to cut him loose. What I am saying is that Johnson is getting too much love based upon the results to date. By year 3, if he's the coach everyone seems to think he is, he should have much more talent on the floor that he does right now. Losing to Nicholls and Coastal only points up how weak we are. Rejoicing in a 1 point loss to WSU shows how accepting the fans are of this mediocrity. The main reason is that Johnson is not Brady. Well, in year 3, Brady wasn't losing to Div II schools. I'm not defending Brady. I'm pointing out that Johnson may not be what everyone wants him to be.

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Basically Johnson had to start over again after his 1st season. The cupboard was bare and let's face it...LSU is not a perennial power that will get a recruit by name alone in basketball. He has to be sold on coming here. The facilities were a lot to be desired before the practice facility was built. Right now we have some talent but it is young and inexperienced. That is why I give him a pass. Of course I'm not nearly as critical of the football coaches either when maybe there is some reason for discontent. I look for him to pick it up by the end of the season as this team learns to play together.

As has been pointed out several times there are quite a few SEC teams struggling against weaker teams with coaches with a hell of a lot more tenure than Johnson. If we are still struggling this time next year them I'll be critical.

1 person likes this.
  5. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

First, we have not lost to any Division II schools. Second, if you think more talent should be on the floor, then who are the players he should have recruited that would be an upgrade from what we have?

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Hell if I know. Not my job. Other than Turner (and 3 point bombers are a dime a dozen) I don't see any decent Div I players on the floor after 2 recruiting classes. White is an undisciplined big body. Storm Warren has had more than enough time to show his stuff. In basketball you can recruit a competitive team with 2 good players.

7. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

WOW!!! That's a bold prediction SabanFan!