Basketball vs Nicholls State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Nov 16, 2010.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

I always love how fans declare a season over when most of the games haven't been played. We have a representative sample of 2 games. :grin: Remember the LSU 2006 final four team's record before making their run?

Obviously, I'm not saying that this is that talented of a team, but frankly, this was a decent NSU team. And, I wouldn't cast doubt on the season just because our freshmen are "1 dimensional". of course, they are, they're true freshmen. None of these kids were John Wall in waiting. All of them have to adjust to the college game and develop. We obviously need this team to develop sooner. I think the 5 turnovers down the stretch indicate inexperience, and frankly the game is pretty even otherwise.

i'd also say, beware the match up. This was a team of mostly experienced, guards and versatile forwards who went "small" on LSU. Hence, White is out of his element, and you're relying on LSU matching up on that game. Then you get backed into LSU relying on mostly freshmen ball handlers.

We'll hopefully some of that inexperience ironed out in the next few weeks. that's why frankly, Trent set up this schedule the way he did. All is not lost.

2. WoodlandsTiger

WoodlandsTiger Founding Member

Nicholls lost to Univ. of Houston on a last second tip-in so I imagine they have a pretty good squad. Should LSU ever lose to Nicholls (No) but it seems they can play a little ball this year.

3. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I'm not going to declare the season over. I think they will improve on their record from last year, but I think they will battle to finish .500 overall. It's an improvement, but it's also still 50%.

I do think most of the problems revolve around inexperience. My point was, that inexperience isn't going to go away until late in the season. It's still way too early to say that they won't fix their mistakes, but there were a lot of things that need fixing. At this point, I would say free throw shooting, inside/outside passing, setting picks, press breaking, help defense, and quick decision making.

At the same time, I also think that simply they need time. They need time in the weight room and with trainers to get into NCAA shape. Unfortunately, none of the players really seem fast. That simply comes with time to work with trainers. They need time to play as a team and to understand tendencies, the plays, and positioning(AKA where should the PG pass to a shooter so he can catch and shoot fastest).

4. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

They'll get it together. I think most people just looking at the outside think "wow, lost to NSU?" but this team has some talent. It will take a while for it to adjust. The "greatest" team ever assembled (if you call a 3 player team great) in the NBA and all but handed a title this season is 6-4. Just takes some time for them to gel and get used to each other at game speed. I think it is a learning experience for them and they will improve as the season goes on.

5. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I can't recall. Did Brady ever lose to Nicholls State?

6. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I thought there would be some growing pains with such a young team and last night was one of them. No doubt the team will improve as the season goes along. Nice to see Derenbecker come off the bench and have a good game.

7. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I think Memphis beat Miami a couple of nights ago.

8. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

:wave:

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

No.

He was arguably one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time and is being considered for the Hall of Fame from what I hear.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Hardly, but he never lost to a Nicholls State. Even with a probation ravaged team that couldn't compete in the SEC. Just sayin...