Basketball vs Nicholls State

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by northernvatiger, Nov 16, 2010.

1. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

LSU basketball will be OK, guys. Nicholls is actually decent this season with an aussie that would start on just about any team in the nation. having said that, no LSU shouldn't lose to Nicholls, but basketball is the one sport where small schools can be super competitive. Nicholls also beat LSU baseball and the team went on to win the CWS.

2. 100%TigerBred

100%TigerBred Founding Member

we are a very young team an who knows how we will be playing by then. If you are an LSU fan i say go. esp. to the UK game. Rupp Arena is crazy it is in a freaking mall. Plus, they have nba talent freshman which would be fun to watch. I went last year when they played in BR and enjoyed the game. Our boys play hard and may play harder when we play a team like that.

3. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

Then stay out of the basketball threads you goof. :lol:

PS...I remember those battles. Whatever happened to him? You ran him off?

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Not to add fuel to this fire, or to get into another Brady thread, I would have to agree with this... in hoops, the "upsets" can be more common, and frankly, although I hate to admit it, the losses do not always indicate an inherent lack of coaching. When you up the number of games in a season, you often rely on players, player development to carry you throughout the season and thus coaching in between games is often more important than what happens in the games. Baseball is a good example of this. Football is a little different b/c coaches have a week to prepare and less games, but frankly, we often make too much of coaching based upon wins vs losses. I choose to look more closely at player development (are players motivated and improving game to game and season to season) and recruiting (SabanFan must be ignoring, consistent classes getting better? Johnny O'Bryant?). The coaching spot obviously does, however, serve as a figurehead, representative of your program, and the overall state of a program should always rise above a W-L on a game by game basis--in this arena Trent should be considered doing a great job.

That said, here are some tidbits to consider in the debate...

If we're going back to the Brady discussion... look at his record at Ark St (I'd say he's lost to many a Nicholls States, including ULL last year) and look at the latest Brady example of class and coaching demeanor. :yelwink2:

Arkansas St starts off 0-4: M Basketball - Schedule/Results - Arkansas State Athletics Official Web Site - astateredwolves.com

Brady rants at a discussion about his league:
    Arkansas State's John Brady Goes Off on Sun Belt's Basketball Scheduling Suggestions - ArkansasSports360.com

If we're going to look at similar coaches in the SEC, just note that Alabama is 2-3 right now, with a loss to St. Peter?

St. Peter's Peacocks vs. Alabama Crimson Tide - Recap - November 22, 2010 - ESPN

As a practical matter, this season's about how LSU does in the SEC. I expect bumps and bruises in the non-conference first half, but the key is are the young kids getting better, and frankly are folks like Malcolm White and Storm Warren getting better in preparation for the SEC. The SEC East is doing alright now, playing top out of conference talent... kudos to Vanderbilt for beating UNC, and all of the SEC east competing against the likes of Ohio State, West Virginia etc. LSU will be judged (and its post season hopes) by it's games against Vanderbilt, Florida, Georgia, Tennessee, and Miss St by mid to late season. Let's hope that Trent can get 'em ready to compete in those games.

5. martin

martin Banned Forever

right on, dude, i just read an article about this dude and it appears that he is a destroyer. and college teams really only need a few really good players. the future is bright.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Win vs South Alabama

For what it's worth, LSU goes on the road today to South Alabama and dismantles them. Shoots phenomenally well from the arc and their defense looks better as well. Sure, South Alabama was 2-2 and is in the Sun Belt, but it was a very good showing by a young team on the road.

Things are starting to click, boys.

Not a single thread on the game either? C'mon. The football season is over, right? :wink:

7. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

You could have started one? :bball:

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Maybe LSU should put forth a little effort to let us know they are playing.