Bass' future with Hornets

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by OkieTigerTK, Apr 17, 2006.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

The local paper did a review of the Hornet's players. As Byron Scott has said there are only 7-9 players from this season's team he wants to keep, the paper has done a breakdown of who has what chances of staying. Here is what they had to say about Brandon Bass.

Vitals: F, 6-8, 240, Years pro: Rookie

2005-06 Averages: 2.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.1 apg, 8.3 mpg

Contract: Hornets have option to keep Bass one more year and pay him roughly $660,000 next season.

The Good: Bass is explosive. Strong and athletic enough to rebound and block shots. And he can finish with strong dunks or step outside and hit 15- to 17-foot jump shots.

The Bad: Young and inexperienced. Bass turned pro after his sophmore year at LSU and can't legally drink until April 30. Point being, there's a lot he has to learn about basketball. And at 6-8, he's an undersized power forward.

Outlook: The Hornets are high on Bass, his work ethic and his passion. Bass has shown enough potential in one season to draw comparisons to the Detroit Pistons' Ben Wallace from Hornets brass. They'd like to see Bass blossom into Wallace's All-Star caliber with their organization.

Chance of Returning: Good. This summer will be huge for Bass, though. He must show improvement while playing on the team's summer league roster in Las Vegas.

2. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

I don't follow the NBA very closely. Didn't know that at 6' 8" someone is considered an "undersized"l power forward.

3. clair

clair Rockets

Tracy McGrady is a shooting guard/small forward and he is 6'8

Tayshawn Prince is a SF and is 6'9

4. LSUalum24

LSUalum24 Founding Member

Well, the dominant power forwards such as KG and Tim Duncan are 7'0" (they aren't listed as 7 footers but that is because they don't want to be perceived as centers) and over, 6'8" is kind of small.

5. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

Guys who are 6'8 (if that) and only play like they're 6'8 are undersized. If he is that short at PF he'd have to have more of an explosive game and get off the ground better than he does. Hope he does well, he should be able to catch on somewhere else if the Hornets let him go for, if nothing else, his rebounding.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Yeah...in today's NBA, PF's are usually 6'10". Like cgisclair pointed out, you're starting to see guards and SF's that are 6'8".

If Bass could consistantly better his outside shooting, he could be a nice SF.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

He's not even 6'8" . He's 6'6-3/4" as measured in the NBA pre-draft camps.

It's ok. I'm 5'10-1/2" barefoot but I don't have a problem with listing myself as 6'0" in shoes either.

8. SEChoops.com

SEChoops.com Founding Member

It doesnt matter what you are without shoes on...you play the game with shoes.

The Hornets are really high on Bass and I hope this eases some of the tension from LSU fans. I understand why they are that way, but Bass is going to make some money and do what he loves doing. He is very polite and down to earth, he represents LSU well. School isn't for everyone...

9. friday

friday Founding Member

Bass fits perfectly into Scott's plans. I've watched most of the hornets games this year and Bass has shown that he will work hard for PT. He comes in and does the dirty work, playing D and rebounding. Rememeber the NJN teams that Scott coached? they all had Bass-type players who would come in an play hard and put in a quality 10-12 mins a game. aaron williams comes to mind. when bass develops a 15 ft jumper, he will flourish in that offense with chris paul. that should be his focus in the hornet's summer league - developing a short range jumper.

10. SEChoops.com

SEChoops.com Founding Member

Bass has the short range jumper already he doesn't have the confidence in it yet. It has part to do with him being a rookie and deferring to veterans. I think it'll come along nicely...