Battle for starting QB

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tigrman, Feb 3, 2004.

1. tigrman

tigrman Founding Member

I am a little concerned about the position we are in at QB. Not just for the orvious reasons.

I see another musical QB situation approaching. I'm sure everyone remembers the QB shuffle a few years back between Rohan, Nall and Booty.

I hope this picture clears quickly and a starter is chosen and supported.

2. Tiger John

Tiger John Freshman

Don't sweat the details. Remember we have a coach who knows how and when to make these decisions. Sabin will make the right call when the time is right.:geaux: :helmet:

3. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

I, like every other Tiger fan, would love to see Russell in action. But Marcus Randell does have more experience. It will be interesting to see what happens.

4. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Seems like by now LSU fans would be over the catastrophe syndrome the plagued us for so many years, and rightfully so!

If you don't trust Saban will make the right decisions by now, you never will...

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

To be concerned is ok, I am concered about all of our open positions just about, especially safety, but to worry about musical QB's is not one of them. We may play all 3 QB's early unless one of them really takes charge in practice and then carries that over to games, it's the nature of the beast and we happen to open with a hard game so hopefully one of them does take charge. It's what makes college ball so interesting if you ask me, no 10 year vets holding down the fort, real competion for several spots every year. The anxiety is part of what makes it so interesting.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I expect that Randall, due to his seniority, will get the Spring nod as the starter but I expect either Russell, or Flynn to beat out Randall come opening day.

Whichever of our Frosh. QB's beats out Randall, (you can bet that they both won't--you don't do that to a player that has started for you in the past and, was your backup in a National Championship year, and have him be the 3rd QB behind 2 freshmen.....Won't happen.).

But I have faith in Russell and Flynn's abilities, cause if either of them start, it's because Saban is very confident in their abilities (he wouldn't start them if he wasn't)...I'm also confident that Randall will be improved from where he was 2 years ago when he was starting for us in place of an injured Matt Mauck.

Bottom line: No worries! :)

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Me, ... I want to see the spring game!

I want to see for myself how Russell and Flynn look. I want to see if the Senior Randall is superior to the freshman Randall. I'm just guessing otherwise.

8. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I suspect Russell will be the one who emerges. He will suffer growing pains so we all must have some perspective. He wont be Rohan next year.

Also not to nitpick there Tiger John. But is S-A-B-A-N. Not Sabin..

9. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I see so many people on message boards spell Saban, S-A-B-I-N. I dont know why but a lot of people spell it that way. Not really too big of a deal though

10. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

i agree i would like to see russell. he had a year to learn the offense so i can't imagine to many growing pains for him. randall of course has the most experience, but honestly i don't think he is tall enough to see over the offensive line. these guys are huge and i think with russell's size and arm strength he should be the one unless he just cannot pick up the offensive scheme.

as far as the defense goes, these guys have had a year playing in this scheme. remember 2 years ago the defense was no where nearly as complicated to learn as it has become. i doubt that we will see anymore true freshmen playing this year as opposed to last year. the learning curve is just to great for them. LSU has around 50 blitz packages as opposed to most schools that have 10 or 15.