BB help next year

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roygu, Feb 8, 2004.

1. roygu

roygu Founding Member

Davis, Temple help U-High KO Yellow Jackets

By ROBIN FAMBROUGH
    [email protected]
    Advocate sportswriter

The combination of LSU signees Glen Davis and Garrett Temple provided a knockout punch for University High on Saturday night.
    Davis netted game MVP honors by scoring 31 points and pulling down 16 rebounds, while Temple added 24 points, including 17 in the third quarter, to help Class 2A U-High notch a surprising 70-40 victory over 5A Denham Springs in the finale of 20th Hall of Fame Basketball Classic.

More than 3,400 fans attended the Louisiana High School Athletic Association/Louisiana High School Coaches Association event at the Riverside Centroplex.

Denham Springs got 23 points and 11 rebounds from standout Tasmin Mitchell. The key to the victory was the second half in which the top-ranked Cubs outscored No. 2 DSHS 45-25, including 28-17 in the third quarter.

"I've been coaching here for seven years and that was the finest quarter we've ever played," University coach Ari Fisher said. "They (U-High players) stayed very relaxed. It turned into one of those top-what-I-can-do things. But I was pleased with the way we maintained the lead and actually built on it."

Redemptorist got 11 points for standout guard Curtis West in overtime en route to a 80-71 victory over Southern Lab in the third game of the four-game event.

West, who finished with 20 points, was one of four double-figures scorers for a Class 4A Redemptorist, which trailed 10-0 in the early going. Anthony Johnson scored a team-high 22 for the Wolves, helping offset the performances of Matthew Barrow (28) and Fred Savoie (27) of 1A Southern Lab.

"This is a veteran basketball team," Redemptorist coach Sid Edwards said. "There really isn't much they haven't seen before. We've been down so many times before. I was confident. They play well together."

mþUNIVERSITY 70, DENHAM SPRINGS 40: Jeremy Thomas, who finished with 11, was the only other double-figures scorer for Denham Springs (24-7). U-High is 25-3.

The game started off at a slow pace. U-High's 6-foot-8 Davis and 6-7 Mitchell of DSHS traded baskets early. A basket by Thomas with 27 seconds remaining sent Denham Springs into the second quarter with an 8-7 lead.

From there, the Yellow Jackets' struggles began, according to coach Paul Smith.

"First of all, they (the Cubs) play outstanding team defense," Smith said. "We got frustrated by it and after a while we stopped running our offense all together. It became more of a playground game for us.

"U-High outplayed us. Now we have to get back and regroup for district. That's what would be important now."

University started to pull away by outscoring DSHS 18-7 in the second quarter. Davis scored 10 points and pulled down five rebounds in the period as University jumped out to a 25-15 halftime lead.

Temple then took control in the third quarter. The 6-6 guard scored 12 of the Cubs first 14 points in the period. Temple hit three 3-pointers in the quarter and had four for the game. The effort by Temple overshadowed the fact Mitchell scored 14 third-quarter points for the Yellow Jackets.

A 3-pointer by Temple with 52.2 points to go gave U-High a 20-point lead, 50-30. The Cubs took a 53-32 advantage into the final quarter and added to it.

Davis had eight points in the final quarter that featured scoring by five different Cubs. A dunk by Bridgewater with 1:14 remaining capped the scoring and also gave the Cubs their largest lead of the night.

2. DJ

DJ Founding Member

U-High's talent level has improved somewhat since I went there 30 years ago. ;)

Apparently Garrett Temple is very much like his brother in terms of basketball skills, and hopefully will be like him in terms of work ethic. If so, he will definitely contribute. CTIII is someone who worked hard, got the most out of his talent, and represented LSU with class. IMO we can always use a player like that.

Davis reportedly has a good touch on intermediate range shots, something rarely seen in college these days, and a skill which will make him an offensive threat immediately. It takes a monster defensive play to stop a big guy from scoring 10 feet away from the hoop--especially when you also have to deal with Brandon Bass.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Was it CTIII that graduated in three years and began working on his masters his senior year?

4. DJ

DJ Founding Member

Yes. CTIII had already graduated when he played what was his senior year in terms of NCAA eligibility. Of course, I think he had to sit out a year because of injuries.

Nevertheless, CTIII was a hard worker in terms of the classroom and the court, and the results of his effort were evident in both endeavors.

5. roygu

roygu Founding Member

I posted that article because somone was doubting Temples ability, a couple weeks back. I saw on some recruiting list, prior to signing day, that Temple was a top hundred recruit. If he can handle the ball, shoot free throws, and hit a three he will be a welcome addition no matter if he is on any list.

6. MikeD

MikeD Sports Genius

CTIII had his masters before he finished playing his senior year. He's a great guy and reflects positively on LSU.

7. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

As you said if Garrett can just handle the ball, make free throws, and hit the outside shot at a decent rate then welcome aboard.

Having Bass and Davis will be interesting next year.

8. LSUstudent

LSUstudent Founding Member

CTIII was taking doctoral level classes his last season at LSU

if u didn't know that u never watched any LSU basketball on TV...the announcers mentioned it every game.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

What are out chances at getting Tasmin? What position would he play at LSU? What is our depth at the position he would be projected at?

10. conradj

conradj Founding Member

I was just about to ask that. I think I heard that he is related to one of the assistant coaches or something like that. I sure he comes though.