BB Tourney effect on LSU Recruiting?

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by CalcoTiger, Mar 24, 2006.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

Ugh...for the record, D. Mitch shot 39% from behind the arch this season...and JJ Reddick shot 42%.

IMO, D. Mitch was our only consistant outside shooter and the point to many arguements in this thread is centered around LSU getting additional players that shoot good enough from the outside to be considered a scoring threat--keep the defense from simply playing down low on Davis and THomas.

So, from what I can tell, if D. Mitch shoots 39%, and all of us Tiger fans view him as our biggest outside weapon, then two more guys that shoot 38% from 3-pt land IS a significant upgrade.

2. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

If we're only going to have one consistent outside threat in Martin next year then I'd like for him to shoot a little better than 38% or else we'll see a repeat of the UCLA game a lot when people figure out how to slow down our inside game.

3. BostonBengal

If UCLA hasn't shown them how to do it already. :(

4. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Agreed. IMO, it's not just a % issue. Mason I believe was a pretty good 3 point shooter (although he's more of a "scorer" as opposed to a pure shooter), as is Martin. Even if they're a little off from D.Mitch, you've got to compare them to T.Mitch (was around 33% before post season play, now, I'd gather to say less than 30%) and G.Temple (sub 25% it seems). If you get MORE potential threats, that says something because anyone of three guys could get hot for you on a given night. What always seemed to be the case with this team this year was opposing teams knew that if they shut down D.Mitch, we'd have no perimeter threat. In the tourney, they were right.

I still feel confident that Martin, Mason and Minor add a new dimension to our team. Don't forget Farrerr, too. He was a 45%+ three point shooter in high school.

What I think is more important than pure three shooters, actually, is ball handling and court awareness. I believe we'll have more scoring from our guards. The question is who is going to be our on the court leader? Likely to be Big Baby, but it's always hard to have your big man be your trigger--that's why we need an impact point. Who is going to break the press and make the smart decisions? Tack is still an enigma who is going to have to prove he's matured. We know what Voogd did at this stage of his career.

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

He had a pretty impressive year, until the tournament...

6. JVincent25

He made some nifty passes every now and then, but that is absolutely it. He got worse over the course of the season and he just seemed like a turnover waiting to happen at the end of the year.

7. CParso

CParso Founding Member

He was pretty good at controlling the tempo, getting the ball down court, making solid passes all year. He needs to develop some kind of scoring threat potential because he's too one dimensional right now and hopefully he can rebound from his terrible tournament performance.

8. CParso

CParso Founding Member

What does that mean, scorer instead of shooter? Isn't that what D Mitch is?

I think we're going to need something more than Tack or Voogd to be a great team. Both pose serious problems to the health of the team, IMO.

9. JVincent25

Mason is more of a slashing, mid range kind of a guy. Marquette fans were pretty upset about him leaving, they were calling him a poor man's Dwayne Wade, who can't hit a 3 to save his life.

10. BostonBengal

Even that might be an added demension to our offense. That "slashing/midrange" type is sorta the same type of game as Simone uses (she doesn't shoot very many 3's) and it still opened up the defense a little--except of course for last night. :D

P.S. Sorry for the men's/women's comparisons...