BCS and the Polls

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Apr 25, 2005.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Looking at all of these polls on the different sites with the pre-spring polls and the after spring polls and of course the polls that will be coming out over the summer and early fall. It made be think how good it is that the AP will no longer be part of the BCS system, so we really don't have to worry about where we are ranked in the pre-season. Now I'm sure that some of the coaches may actually look at the AP and other polls to see what they think as many of them won't have the time or the inclination to do much homework, but at least the moron writers won't have as much influence on who ends up making the BCS Bowls.

The committee of course may replace the AP with some other poll like the Football Writers of America. I hope whoever it is they convince not to have their first poll until the middle of the season. The USA balked about that idea with regard to the coaches poll. Not sure if ESPN fussed as well.

2. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

Anyone who thinks that the AP isn't the 800# gorrilla whether it's part of the BCS or not is fooling themselves. As long as they do the poll, they will matter. If there is a disagreement between the BCS result and the AP, it will be considered a split championship. I think it would have been better to keep them involved, because now there will be a potential for a 3-way.

Personally, I think delaying the vote is just a bunch of nonsense. I don't think there is any real evidence that it matters by the time it actually matters. Auburn could have started say #2 last year and I doubt they would have made it. A decision had to be made as to who would be left out. Given the resumes, I don't see why it wouldn't have ended up just as it did. AU actually tied OK in the polls one week. OK didn't pass them again because the voters suddenly realized that they had previously voted OU ahead of them; they passed them because of the scrutiny given both teams. TX started out ahead of Cal, but Cal passed TX (they both lost the same weekend), but in the end TX won out. Again are you saying this was due to the sudden realization that TX started out ranked higher?

3. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

How is that? Are you saying OU would've just somehow jumped Auburn for no apparent reason?

4. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

Oh, the reasons are plenty apparent :hihi:

5. cajdav1

Nope, but I am saying that if the voters would have had AU number one in the preseason they would have made the Title game, No way they would have dropped them down to number 3. And looking at Auburn's regualr season and how many close games they had compared to USC especially I believe they would have stayed atop the polls. Maybe even been number one if the polls would not have started until mid season. By then USC had several close calls.

6. cajdav1

That's exactly why I said they should not even have their poll if they truely don't want to make the news and only report it. As they profess.

7. AuNuma1

AuNuma1 Founding Member

I see what you're saying but you're still comparing a pile of crap to another pile of crap, just one pile might not smell as bad as the other. The problem won't be solved as long as voting still exists...the "national champion" should be decided on a scoreboard, not on a ballot.

8. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Strength of schedule
    Media Poll (whoever)
    Coaches' Poll...

Best way to do it. They said they took out SOS because it is already taken into account. Bullsh*t. Regionalism controls the polls. SOS is a counterbalance to that. And change the way they rate I-AA teams in the SOS. To say that a top tier I-AA team is lower than a Sun Belt team (other than N. Texas, maybe Troy) or some of the other crap teams in the I-A is ridiculous.

9. cajdav1

I won't argue for the national championship as it isn't going to happen for a long, long, long, long time, so I'll debate instead for a better way to conduct the system that is in place.

I don't think they have to change the way they rate the 1-AA teams as I believe they aren't factored in, so no harm.

Edited: I also think that SOS really isn't accurate at all after all of the weighing is done. Teams like the SEC with a bunch of good teams end up beating up on each other anyway.

10. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

I'm so happy that LSU was good enough and lucky enough to win the BCS National Championship!!

Do you realize that we now have DOUBLE the number of Football National Championships as Bauburn since 1950? Do you realize that it has been 48 years since Baburn has won a football NC?

FORTY-EIGHT YEARS!!

That's very satisfying to me.

:crystal: