BCS approves "Piggyback" Model

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by SG_Geaux, Jun 9, 2004.

1. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I don't quite understand this. Say if LSU and USC are #1 and #2 and the Rose Bowl is the site of that years NC game. Would there be a January 1 game between the Big 10 winner and some other team and then a few days later the BCS title game? Same with the Sugar, Orange and Fiesta. LSU wins the SECCG over Georgia and is the SEC Sugar Bowl qualifier but is ranked #1 or #2. Would Georgia play in the "regular" Sugar Bowl and LSU in the Super Sugar Bowl a few days later?

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

iF LSU is 1 and USUCK 2 and its at the ROSE they still play the Big 10 Champ then 1/2 play after.

4. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

That is correct sir. Since they are allowing the "Coalition" teams (non-BCS) in if they can finish number 12 or better, Georgia would probably play Boise St, or somebody like that in the "Sugar Bowl"

Dammit, now I have to go vomit again

5. tirk

exactly and its total bull****. how ridiculous this is turning out to be all so they can preserve the old bowl money for the bluehairs never to see a playoff system.

6. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

The part that kills me is they can give no good reason why they can't do the 4 BCS Bowls then figure number 1 and 2 and play a NC game a week later as opposed to this steaming pile of crap that they approved.

7. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

A top 12 coalition team going to a BCS game is total garbage to me. I'm sorry but those teams usually wind up being proven to not be as good as thought. If they are good enough I have no problem with them being there, but they usually aren't. This is a horrible solution.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This is what I understand. The Rose Bowl would be first to pick another team (coalition team) to play the Rose Bowl game against the Big 10 Champion. In other words, USC does not play in the Rose Bowl, they go directly to the NC game (which is held at the Rose Bowl in this example) against LSU. In the same sense, LSU would not play the Sugar Bowl, and the Sugar Bowl would have the next pick of a replacement team.

9. tirk

the agreement for the ROSE from the beginning and was granted is that the traditional big 10/pac 10 winner stay in tact for Pasadena. The other bowls are not granted that luxury.

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

So are you saying that theoretically USC could lose the Rose and still get to play LSU in the NC game?

And does LSU still play in the Sugar or does not play at all until the NC game?