BCS Article

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TexasTigers, Apr 29, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

I'm glad they aren't so blinded that they believe the human polls should be law. It still gets me that they got so upset because the BCS worked the way it was supposed to: the computer polls combined with SOS negated the flawed logic of the human polls. I can't wait to see this new formula. It better not be as stupid as I'm imagining.

3. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The BCS is always reactive. Now that want to have the Human Polls again decide who plays in the game. So altough OU played a tougher schedule, beat tougher teams and actually played top 10 teams (Unlike USC) that doesnt matter because the left coast wanted their buffoons in the game.

Its a joke.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Any team that plays in Los Angeles is going to get maximum exposure to the media, who are based in . . . Los Angeles! All they get are short clips of highlight plays of teams in Louisiana, or anywhere else in the country. They get to watch every USC game on TV in L.A., along with all of the local team hype.

The AP poll is old and respected, but it is inherently biased.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I'll agree that the polls are biased, all polls are. The Heisman balloting followed the regions to a T almost.

However, I have to disagree with the media not seeing LSU, we were on national T.V. much more than USC and only part of the media are based in LA, the most are in the NY area and then spread around the country fairly even these days. They saw the Tigers, just didn't believe that a defense could be as good as ours was so we had to prove it every game, including the SEC CG and the Sugar Bowl. And we would have had to prove it vs USC too. And the D would have IMO, we were just flat out incredible last season.

6. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

This is the quote that bothers me. They seem to be so determined to make sure that if the human polls say who's number one, it should be set in stone, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! How dare the computer polls expose the human polls for what it is, an imperfect system without a way for a team to out perform a team that is already ahead of them.

I'm really curious to see how they changed the computer polls roll in the system. I don't think doing something extreme is justified by what happened last season. What should be change is people's perception that the human polls are infallible.

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

i basically think that every human poll should be thrown out of any official decision.

if the exact formulas are published before the season, there are no questions. you look at the formula, know what you need to do and do it. no more media BS, no more moron reporters, no more subjectivity. like the tennis rankings. we know for damn sure who the number one player in the world is, and how he can lose that position.

the fact is people are morons and shouldnt decide anything.

why not have a vote to see who goes to the world series? why not have a poll determine who wins the world cup? any human interaction is stupid and should be removed. the idea that opinion decides a championship is ludicrous.

the bcs worked. anyone who thinks USC deserved a shot in the BCS game is wrong and ignorant.

i wanna get a big sticker with the word CAL! on it, so i can stick on people's face when they claim usc is number 1.

8. I dont know if it matters that they change the BCS or not. It looks like the media will make the NCAA make up the rules as we go along anyway. If they dont like something, it will get changed during the season.

9. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

I do not like the extra game after the bowls because if LSU and USC play in the orange Bowl next year and both are undefeated. Why should the winner have to play a 2 loss Mich team that won the Rose Bowl. That is what would happen.

10. JoeReckless

JoeReckless Founding Member

I have a feeling that LSU will not be underestimated this year. We should be very highly ranked and get a lot of National Exposure through out the season.

In other words, The BCS system should not be a concern for us as much as just taking care of business on the field. If we win, we're in.

The only thing that still troubles me is the fact that we get penalized if we play the SEC east champ twice. Which is very likely this year again. You have to think that either UGA or FLA will win the east.

If we miss out because of quality win points taken away from us because of beating the same top 5 team twice, that is just not right.