BCS Crystal Nothing New?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUTiga, Mar 23, 2008.

1. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Yup, and they once made similar claims regarding D-I basketball ..... and look at the beautiful monster it has become.

2. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

Made a few months of regular season irrellevant to the casual fan so we could have 2 weeks of good games?

3. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I fully understand that Miami has 5 NC's, but that wasn't what the topic of this thread was about. It's about the crystal ball trophy, and Miami only has 3.

4. khounba

khounba Founding Member

It wont do anything to the regular season. Last year being the exception, every other year the SEC divisional races came down to the final weekend of the season. The big ten title usually comes down to OSU and UM their last game of the season. Same in the Big 12. USC gets to rest all year, that's nothing new. You think coaches are going to rest players with the conference on the line just to prepare for a playoff run? Most schools want to win their conference, so resting players isn't an option.

And there is no reason they can't still have the 72 bowl games plus some playoff games.

5. LSUTyga73

LSUTyga73 Football Connoisseur

An Auburn fan complaining about the BCS? Nahhh :grin:

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Unbiased, data-driven computer models are also used.

7. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

computer polls are unbiased? ..... really? They're as accurate as the information they are fed by their administrators.

If the computer polls were the sole method used, LSU would've played Va Tech for the MNC ...... but we both know that wasn't the matchup needed by big media ..... :wink: LSU should've been ranked #1 and IMO they would've easily handled UGA.

Final Computer Avg. Rankings - Dec.2, 2007:
    1. Va Tech - .960
    2. LSU- .950
    3. Ohio State - .910

link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings

8. Nutriaitch

Nutriaitch Fear the Buoy

We already saw that game.

9. ohio1317

ohio1317 Freshman

I think a playoff would definitely diminish viewership during the regular reason. How many people on here were watching WVU/Pitt and the Big 12 Championship last year? Even before the final week, were you watching to see what top seeds would fall off? I know I was. I also know several of the games would have held less interest for me if I didn't believe just one loss was enough to keep a team out of the championship.

Imagine in college basketball if only the regular season conference winners made the tournament. I think there would be a lot more emphasis on each regular season game by a lot more people, including many of different conference loyalties. I know I wasn't paying attention to who won the Big 12 or the PAC-10 this year. If those races had been for an actual tournament births (and not a 12th or 13th seed), I might have.

All of that said, I think a 4-team playoff would be doable (assuming it’s the top 4 conference champs, no team that lost its own conference can complain), but definitely no more. Admittedly, I'd rather not even have that, because of its effects on bowl games.

2 people like this.
  10. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Importance of the regular season has always been my main reason I have been skepticle of the idea of a large playoff. IMO that is what makes college football so great.