BCS - Fat Lady has NOT warmed up yet

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUGradin99, Dec 1, 2003.

1. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I'll preface this post by first simply saying THE BCS SYSTEM IS A LOAD OF NONSENSE!

With that being said.... it's not over till it's over as far as BCS standings go...

A bit of info quoted from Rich Tellshow's website:

"Dec 1: The battle between USC and LSU might be decided by the computer polls. LSU is ahead in Massey, Anderson and Sagarin. It is very likely that LSU will overtake USC in Billingsley by beating Georgia. I think it is also likely that LSU will 2nd in the NYTimes. This ranking correlates well with the opponents winning percentage and weighs recent results more heavily (that is how Florida was ranked so highly). Wolfe's ranking will be a close call but I think LSU has a good shot at that one too. That leaves Colley's Matrix. Luckily, I have that one duplicated. USC will be #2 in Colley with wins by the favorites. LSU will be #2 in Colley if Syracuse upsets ND, even if Hawaii upsets Boise State. So there you have it the Syracuse-ND game could determine the BCS with its effect on sos and Colley's Matrix. Of course there are many such games during the season, this is just the last one."

This guy has been highly accurate all season long with his projections. Right now he is projecting the favorites, Notre Dame to win at Syracuse and Boise State to win at Hawaii. This would give USC a small edge in strength of schedule and thus allow it to edge out LSU in the final BCS standings as he projects:

1 Oklahoma 13 0 1.00 1 1 1.0 0.5 0.40 1.90
    2 Southern Cal 11 1 2.83 2 2 2.0 0 1.28 7.11
    3 LSU 12 1 2.00 3 3 3.0 0.1 1.36 7.26

Note the strength of schedule in bold text. LSU needs Syracuse and Boise St. to win. This would give USC a 1.44 sos and LSU a 1.28 sos. This would be great! As you can read from Rich's quote above, this would likely put LSU ahead in 6, if not ALL 7 of the computer polls and allow LSU to edge out USC for second in the BCS!

For the most part these "important games" by opponents over the past few weeks have been very difficult to care about and/or watch. However, I can certainly care about wanting Notre Dame to lose, I pull against them anyways! Sucks for USC fans, they have to root for their bitter rival to win heh. As for Boise St. winning, this is pretty much a lock. Boise St. is one heck of an awesome football team and the game would even be exciting to watch!

Of course, a 7-4 Oregon St. team could pull off an upset still....

Geaux Broncos!
    Geaux Orangemen!
    Geaux Beavers!!

Most importantly:

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

What a great season this has been for LSU fans!

2. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Syracuse and Boise State win ... LSU gets Sugar?

Final Answer?

The idea of Notre Dame, a -2 favorite over Syracuse at home, putting the final nail in LSU's #2 BCS coffin is disturbing. It's easy to hate Notre Dame ... and the game will be over early ... before the USC game.

Ranked Boise State is a -10 favorite over Hawaii ... that sounds good.

3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

We will know by kickoff of our game whether or not we still are in this thing.

4. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

As close as this thing might come, the Hawaii-Boise St. game, which kicks off at 10:30 CST, might decide who plays for the national championship, given wins by LSU, USC and Syracuse earlier in the day. Crazy.

5. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

To use some political terminalogy, USC has the lead, but this race is too close to call.

6. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

I'm hoping for some "dangling chads" from some AP and ESPN/USA Today ballots. We might have to demand a recount.

7. LSUGradin99

That is indeed correct thus far. When the BCS standings come out today, the projections will be even more precise though. After seeing Notre Dame play this year a few times this year, I would not be too confident in Notre Dame beating Syracuse at Syr. This looks pretty good, a battle of two 5-6 juggernauts. heh

8. dothantiger

dothantiger Founding Member

Ok....so "if" Syracuse wins and LSU wins this Saturday, will that Boise State/Hawaii game at 10:30p.m. have the final outcome of the BCS? I mean.....are you saying to stay up and watch it??? Could this game be that important???? Would it really happen if Boise State wins?

9. LSUGradin99

Here is his projection if both Syracuse and Hawaii win. USC would have a 1.28 sos which would be slightly better than LSU at 1.36 sos. LSU may still be close enough to do it in the final BCS numbers with LSU getting a .1 quality win bonus should Georgia remain 10 in the BCS. However, it would certainly be a lot more realistic for LSU's chances should Boise St. win.

So yes, if all goes well for LSU throught the day, the late night game is worth a watch. Boise St. is not a boring team to watch anyways. Besides, how can you not enjoy watching a receiever named Gilligan catch a few touchdown passes each game and leaving defenders in his rearview... Hawaii's qb, which just gained the starting job, has been doing quite well. It should be a high scoring game but with Boise St. winning decisively.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Is that game on TV?