BCS is RUINED

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeepPurple, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DeepPurple

DeepPurple Founding Member

First they weaken the sos ,now propose to give 80% back to human poles ,Its back to the dark ages of AP/UPI, LSU will be the last unbiaswed champ.This was pulled off by the media and ONE school USC.I dont think Ive ever seen cry babies get results on a scale this big. Im waiting for the media to announce that USC is automatically in next yrs champ game . Everyone else will play for the other spot

2. Shadeauxcaster

Shadeauxcaster Founding Member

Disagree on One Point

This has nothing to do with USC, they just happened to be the fair haired child of the moment.

The final AP vote was a vote to derail a BCS formula that had dethroned the media as the Kingmaker.

No way were they going to validate a system which had removed them from being the final judges. So they voted en banc in a way to designed to destroy the BCS credibility.

It succeeded gloriously.

The BCS was to remove the subjectivism from the selection process that you have with opinion polling.

Seems the media, always prefering the story being about themselves, under the new formula, now will have only have token distraction (20%) from it being right back where it was, a matter of THEIR, THE MEDIA'S, CHOICE.

Um... since sos and quality wins are out as well.. what exactly is this 20% gonna consist of??? An average from a computer pool alone? That sure makes it easy to determine before hand what those formulas will crank out.

Being willing to cast votes for their own agenda rather than strictly upon an evaluation of team's performance, and being able to determine computer rankings in advance, who thinks a vote would not be skewed to overcome an undesired (by the voters) influence by that 20% determined by the computers?

If one of the other traditional media darlings, Notre Dame, Michigan, Ohio State, et seq had been in Cal South's situation they would have sufficed as well. What this is about is CONTROL BY THE MESSENGER.

Now having said that, I would agree with you that the national media types would rather suck rotten turtle eggs than pick LSU over one of their darlings in anything, it just happened to be USC this time.

That is no different than it has ever been, and I guess the silver lining in that is that it makes our victories so much the sweeter. LSU will always be the red headed stepchild because we are different and a closed club of which they can never be a part. The only way LSU will ever get its due is to beat the snot out of all of em, because we have never been, and never will be, given anything.

So lets get at it.

3. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Its too bad college football is so much fun because I would quit watching it in a heartbeat if it was any other sport.
    The NCAA has ruined it, BCS SUCKS!
    USC SUCKS....

Anything sucks unless a playoff system comes along like in any other sport.
    There is a reason every other sport has a playoff system.

Its a good thing I'm not president because college football would already have playoffs.

4. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

The system is being tailor made for a team who plays in a weak conference with no conference championship game who also plays a weak OC schedule. Whoever fits that bill is, it's made for you.
    How can you get the best College Football games week in week out with this system? The cupcakes for some will be a hot commodity.

5. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

The whole point of the BCS was to take the decision process out of flawed human hands... that is why LSU and OU were in the NC last year and not USC... LSU and OU played the tougher schedules.. they proved that they belonged there... the BCS computer and strength of schedule points were correct because they reflected the WHOLE season, not just the December whim of a bunch of sports writers who, for the most part, do not even watch the games. This may seem hard to believe, but it is a fact.

6. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

Actually, this is incorrect. The main point of the BCS was to avoid a split national championship. Go figure, heh.....

7. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

well.. to clarify.. the point of the BCS was for them to make lots and lots of money.. but the ranking system was to take away the flaws of human rankings, who are biased by regionalism.

8. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

You got me there! :grin:

9. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I have always hated the BCS and I still hate them even though I give them a free pass for last year. There is no way for the BCS or any poll to determine which two teams are actually the best at the end of the season and know that a team that might have had a rocky start to their season and climbed up to 7th or 8th. For example the 2001 LSU team. By the end of the season the 2001 Tigers were playing as good as anybody in the country. If there had been a playoff LSU would have been in it as the SEC Champion. They may or may not have beaten Miami but they damn sure would have beaten Nebraska, Colorado, Oregon State, Texas or Tennessee (Oh, thats right. They did beat Fat Fullmer'w Follys in the SECCG even without Rohan Davey.)

The BCS is being revamped this year to screw LSU. As much as I hate to say it I don't think the Tigers will get through the SEC schedule undefeated. The road schedule is brutal. I think they will win beat Auburn and Arkansas on the road, go undefeated at home and lose to either Georgia or Florida but not both. Both of those games come near mid season so a loss would drop the Tigers a little too far behind anybody who is still undefeated to catch up unless the UD team or two has a latter loss. The 6th ranked Tigers were lucky to only fall to 10th in the rankings after the loss to the Gaytors. That occured because other teams ranked both above and slightly below the Tigers happened to lose on the same weekend. We can't expect that to happen again.

My prediction is that LSU wins the SEC West. Nick Saban has had his teams playing much better at the end of the seasons. The 2001 Tigers were vastly improved by the time the SECCG game came along and the 2003 Tigers were playing so well at the end of the season that they would have given the New England Patriots a run for their money (maybe a slight exaggeration but they were close to being that good. LSU should win a rematch in the SECCG with either UGA or Florida. I think it will be UGA. An 11-1 record after the SECCG. USUCK, OU, Miami and maybe a surprise team that gells a year early like LSU did last year may be ranked up there with the Tigers. The pussies that run the BCS will bend over backwards to make sure USC gets into the Orange Bowl if they haven't lost a late season game.

My personal hope is that USUCK gets left out of the mix and they whine about not even getting the AP no prize and that LSU kicks Miami's butts on their home turf. I would love to see Corey Webster and Travis Daniels intercept 4 or 5 Brock Berlin passes and for Spears, Hill, Oliver and company to sack him 9 or 10 times.

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

True but if those idiots would get their calculators out they might just find out that a true playoff system would make lots more $$$$$$$$$$$