BCS is RUINED

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeepPurple, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Jean Lafitte

Jean Lafitte The Old Guard

THIS CAN'T BE CORRECT!!

This can't be true! Please elaborate. Where can I read about this on the net? Do you have a link?

Thanks.

2. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I would not be concerned about this latest proposal; 40% AP poll, 40% Coaches poll, & 20% BCS. It's merely one of countless proposals. I'd heard Jeff Sagarin interviewed yesterday and he is under the opinion that the model used will be 1/3 AP, 1/3 coaches, & 1/3 BCS. However, the strength of schedule component has been removed, not from the individual computer polls but from the overall formula.

What we will have now is 6 computers rankings averaged into one BCS poll score, the AP polll, and the coaches poll. An average will be taken of those three to give a final ranking.

It may be a bit more complicated than this, not sure. For example, I am not certain if the quality win component has been removed or not. Also not sure if each loss counts as a 1 point deduction form overall ranking as in the old model... Here is a link to BCS standings from last year for anyone who wants a refresher.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSRankings

3. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

A Division 1A playoff system makes too much sense for liberal college professors, so will not be implemented unless crammed down their throats.

-Divide Division 1A into 8 conferences each playing a championship game. Some of the rent-a-victory teams should go back to division 1AA where they belong.

-As the season winds down, the first week after the last conference championship has been played and decided, the 8 conference champions play the four first round playoff games, with the top seeded teams hosting the lowest seeded teams as in any other playoff system. The BCS system can be used for the seeding or any other agreed upon system.

-The four semifinal playoff first round winners play in two of the current New Year's day BCS bowl games on a rotating basis with the two winners to play for the national championship in a new college Super Bowl game to be played one week after the semifinal BCS bowl games are played on New Year's day.

-The four losers from the first round playoff games play consolation games in the other two New Year's day BCS bowl games, maintaining top-notch quality match ups to be played in those two bowl games.

-As for as the remainder of the current bowl system goes, nothing changes, everything else remains exactly the same as before.

There it is – short and sweet – with a minimum of teams playing a minimum number of games to decide a true national championship, and the best thing about it is – it is decided 100 percent on the field with no subjective polls. Additionally, it not only preserves the present bowl system it enhances it. :hihi:

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Someone is missing the point of classifications into divisions.. its not to seperate the good from the bad, its to seperate the schools by student enrollment. You can't just take a 5A highschool team and move them back to 2A just because they suck. Same deal with colleges. The seperation of good teams from bad teams comes from conferences. If the good teams are gonna play these "rent-a-wins", it should be reflected in a strength of schedule rating.

5. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

It's average home attendance.....

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I'm almost 100% sure that locoguano is right. I think classification is determined by the total enrollment of male students between the 9th and 12th grades.

7. Lump

Lump Founding Member

I wish they would make one more change: Individual components of the BCS system are not allowed to crown their own national champion if they want to remain part of the BCS system (i.e. the AP poll). They are only a ranking, just as the computers polls are, and do not by themselves crown the national champion.

I can understand why they got rid of the SOS, because the calculation was bogus to begin with. All it measures really is the out of conference SOS. For conference play, every win by an opponent is offset by a loss by another opponent. There will be slight variation due to the fact that it is not a complete round robin, but by and large conference play gets taken out of the SOS equation...so SOS does not take into account how much easier the PAC-10 is than the SEC. The whole quality win idea was bogus too. I can see getting rid of that.

But now they want to deemphasize the computer polls? So what they are saying is this computer polls are what's wrong with the system. I am just so sick of the argument for the human polls. All of their arguments is based on one flawed assumption: that the human polls are "right". Who says they are right? If they are so accurate at predicting the best team, then why is there so much change in them as the season progresses? Not to mention the obvious biases in the system, the same biases that a few years ago spurned the creation of the BCS in the first place.

...and how the big east has kept their automatic berth mystifies me. You're welcome, Syracuse and WVU.

There is a right way to do this without a full fledged playoff, but it looks like it will get worse before it gets better....hell hath no fury like the media scorned.

8. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

The BCS worked perfectly as it was. That's why LSU played OU, and USC was the odd man out. Their SOS sucked big time and they are in one of the worst conferences in the nation. USC did not deserve to be in the BCS championship. The AP should have had the guts to vote LSU #1 so that we didn't have any of this controversy over who won the NC.

Gutless BCS Committee members. Gutless.

9. UT88-92

UT88-92 Freshman

Well From someone else in the SEC I totally agree with most posts on this here. There needs to be a playoff of some type. We all have heard the arguments about using the Bowl system. I totally agree with those suggestions. A couple of things though I think would need to change.

1) If there is a championship conf game in some, then there should be for all particpating conferences. Obviously I think back to 2001. Kudos to a good LSU team for beating my Vols in the SEC champ game, but then again I am against a team having to beat the same team twice. LSU had lost in the regular season. It is hard to win twice. Which makes what LSU did last year even BIGGER. Winning twice. The bottom line is it is not fair. One team goes through the season and does not have to play ANOTHER good team in a Conf champ game and then someone from the WACK 10(PAC), or Big Ten do not have to. Not fair.

2) I hate the argument that DIV I students would be affected by the longer schedule. OK then but DIVII and III are not? You mean the students are not to be treated the same? Bull PERIOD

3) The fact that Bowls could be used in this playoff system is easy. I mean come on, how many here would not go to the weedwacker bowl or blah blah whatever if you knew your LSU team at 8-3 was moving on? I would if Tenn went to the Citrus but knew if they won they would move on to the Sugar for a shot to play for the National Champ. We all know that a loss at the very beginning of the year can kill a season. it should not matter what you were in the beginning of the season but what you are at the end. We all know that a team can majorly improve as they year moves along and if you dont believe that just ask Nebraska after what Colorado did to them in 2001 compliments of Chris Brown and Purify.

Bottom line there are more reasons to have a playoff than not.

One last thing though. Everyone makes the perception that the NCAA is overseeing the playoff system or the lack of one. Ironically the NCAA does not make the rules about the Bowls or a playoff system. This is the one thing that the NCAA does not oversee in college athletics. Isn't that Strange? When you think about this, it is the one thing that the NCAA does well. Just look at March Madness/ NIT. College World Series, DIV II and III football playoffs.

The whole thing is crap. Just everyone stay confused and we get nowhere and all the gets affected is the fans

10. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

the expert has spoken. the BCS is a bunch of cowards bending to the big media market of So Cal.

80% weight on human polls is ridiculus. That would have meant TCU would have been a great team last year, except they really weren't, just helps to have a crappy schedule.

PLAYOFFS ARE THE ONLY FIX HERE FOLKS.... SCREW THE BOWLS, LETS GET A TOURNEY GOING!