BCS isn't the only thing that's flawed...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Purple Jungle, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Purple Jungle

Purple Jungle Founding Member

No one seems to talk about the fact that the human polls have far more flaws than the BCS.

Everyone says how the Coaches Poll is really voted on by SID's and Graduate Assistants. How credible is that?

The main reason the human polls are flawed is that they create an uneven playing field before the season even starts. They rank teams before any games are played. Since the voters don't usually slide teams down unless they lose, it creates an extreme advantage for teams ranked highly in the preseason.

Oklahoma started a #1. USC started at #8. LSU started at #14. If all three teams went undefeated, the poll would end up #1 Oklahoma, #2 USC and #3 LSU REGARDLESS of who each team beat and how they did it.

If you only go by the polls, college football becomes the only sport where last year helps determine this year. If USC would've gone 4-8 last year, no one would've put them in the top 10 to start the season.

If the AP gets to declare a national champion, then so should the New York Times and Jeff Sagarin and the Colley Matrix and the Massey Rating System and Anderson & Hester, etc...

2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

actually they probably all do!!!

3. VT Sucks

VT Sucks Freshman

something else that is flawed is the false start rule. Like last night, after OSU recovered the onside kick, I think on second down, their TE moved, refs stopped the clock at two minutes, backed them up, put OSU at second and like 14, and started the clock again, so Ohio State ran off another 24 seconds before snapping the ball. That rule is the dumbest in college football. Since they have it in place, why doesnt OSU, instead of hiking the ball, just keep false starting?

4. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I've been saying that but there is no way to get rid of the human
    element.

I'll tell you something else too,
    I would quit ranking teams before anyone has played, I would start ranking teams at the mid season point.

Look where Auburn, VT and anyone else was ranked before the
    season started, All rankings start from the false rankings at the
    beginning of the season.