BCS question?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tigerfan58, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Tigerfan58

Tigerfan58 Founding Member

Can someone answer this BCS question for me?
    If USC wins out. Okla loses one of its last games (Nebraska?), Auburn loses to UGA, and Wisconsin wins out, the BCS could be 1. USC, 2. Wisconsin. Do those two teams HAVE TO accept the Orange Bowl bid or could they instead opt to play in the Rose Bowl, effectively making the Rose Bowl game the National Championship Game?

2. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Anywhere USC plays will be the National Champioship Game. :rofl:

3. Randy70

Randy70 Founding Member

NC game

The #1 & #2 teams in the BCS must play for the BCS National Championship in the Orange Bowl.

4. strinbj

strinbj Freshman

Cal

Don't forget about Cal, they are currently 4 in the BCS. If OU and Auburn lose, we could easily see a PAC-10 vs PAC-10 Orange Bowl. Now that would suck.

5. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

USC and OU won't lose from here on out.

It will come down to if Auburn can win out in 3 pretty damn tough games. Auburn has an outside chance to surpass OU if they happen to win out. I say about 25 %. A lot of it has to do with voters switching their positions from OU and Auburn being #2 and #3, respectively, in their polls. Only about 1/3 of the voters in both the AP and Coaches polls need to change their mind in the next 4 weeks. Auburn beating GA, Alabama on the road and Tennessee in the CG game may just have that effect. The computer polls will end up with USC, OU and Auburn all in the 9.50 to 9.70 range.

Funny that LSU may in a small way hold Auburn's chances in making it to the BCS title game. LSU losing to Alabama this weekend would propel Alabama into the top 20, or at least very close to #20 by the time Auburn plays them. It would be that much more of an impressive win for Auburn to beat 3 straight top 20 teams while OU does not play any decent competition, including a horrible conference CG against either Nebraska or Iowa State.

6. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

OU could potentially drop the Big12CG. Stranger things have happened (i.e., KSU). USC should not lose any more games this reg. season.

While I would love for it to happen, I just don't see the AU able to take votes away from OU if they are both winning. LSU fans lobbied all they could, and with rare exception, the status quo remained.

I don't believe that if Bama were to beat us that it would help AU's position in the polls. The writers and SIDs just don't seem to care about anything other than how the teams make them feel lately.

And strinbj mentioned the possibility of an all PAC-10 BCS NCG...talk about some of the worst ratings ever. I don't think I could stomach it. Chinese water torture sounds more appealing.

7. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

The orange bowl will be the bcs title game between Wisconsin and USC since the Rose Bowl agreed to be part of it. The Rose Bowl game will most likely be Cal vs. Michigan. Then maybe ACC vs. big east in Orange and SEC vs. Big 12 in Sugar and then Notre Dame and Utah maybe in the Fiesta against a big 12 team.

8. captainpodnuh

captainpodnuh Baseball at da Box

If the Orange goes PAC10/Big10, it is highly unlikely that the Rose would get its traditional PAC10/Big10 matchup. The ACC would likely have its team displaced to the Rose, where you would prolly see Cal, rather than Michigan (assuming Cal finishes BCS eligible - Since they don't have a CCG, why wouldn't they?).

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

USC vs. Wisconsin in the Orange....definitely worst ratings ever for a BCS title game.

I would rather see Cal instead.

OU won't lose the CG game this year. Bank on that.

10. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

Remember a few years ago when USC and Iowa played in the Orange instead of the Rose when Ohio State played in BCS game? Rose Bowl, Big Ten and Pac Ten raised hell and made it clear that won't happen again behind the scenes if they wanted rose bowl and big ten pac ten part of the BCS.

Cal vs. Michigan is assured sell out for the rose bowl. The Rose Bowl would take Cal and then Michigan assuming it finishes 10-1 and it would be in the top 8.