BCS Reforms--AP and it's voters are an absolute joke and more...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TejasTiger, Apr 23, 2004.

1. edyel

edyel edyel

Ap sportswriters have proven that they do not have the integrity or the overall knowledge of each football team to choose which team should be playing for the championship. LSU won the national championship last year and already the "experts" are ranking them at #5 to start the season. We all know if USC or OK had won the NC they would be automatically rated #1 whether they lost ALL their starting players or not. The sportswriters don't even attempt to hide their bias any more and are not capable of,and should not be allowed to have anything to do with choosing which teams play for the NC. Just take a look at the list of hack writers that actually get a vote. I don't have the link but somebody here posted it last year and it is a joke. The BCS needs tweaking allright,it needs less input from sportswriters who write for a newspaper in a town where they don't even have a freaking college football team.

2. martin

martin Banned Forever

again i am impressed by how smart you guys are. the bcs is working fine except it could use a little less weight given to biased polls. computer polls are better, facts are better than goegraphically and otherwise biased writers.

and again, you guys are right, the BCS worked perfectly. what didnt work perfectly is the AP. how cant these morons can rank USC over LSU after LSU finishes off the season beating georgia and OU, and has a better SOS and a better loss? its absolute lunacy.

i mean, its just so crazy i cant wrap my head around it. there is zero reason for USC to be ahead of LSU no matter how you look at it. anyone who has any respect for the ap poll is making a mistake. the BCS did its job.

if usc wants to win championships, they should not lose to cal, and play tougher opponents. CASE CLOSED. BCS works. i will shut up before i get too worked up.

3. lsu92

lsu92 Founding Member

LOSING BONUS POINTS???

The biggest problem with the BCS is not even addressed in the article. We beat Georgia in the SECCG, knock them out the top ten, only to lose our quality win bonus points. In essence, by beating a very difficult opponent (in a defacto road game), we hurt our own BCS point status. I remember thinking, maybe we should not beat Georgia too bad in the SECCG since it may put them out the top ten. This is a glaring weakness in the BCS system. I do agree that the BCS is by far the best system, but it does need some tweaking.

When you are the new kid on the national scene it is more difficult to get the respect that traditional powers such as Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and USC receive. The media crowned Oklahoma the best team ever in October. How can a team from a small rural state compete with that type of media hype in the AP poll system? USC is located in a city that is over twice the size of the entire state of Louisiana. The BCS is the great equalizer. Other SEC fan boards constantly trash the BCS and it absolutely amazes me. Does Ole Miss, Auburn, Georgia, Arkansas, Florida and the rest believe they would get a fair shake by the AP poll if they were in our position last year? They are crazy if they think they would. REMEMBER, LSU WAS THE MOST LEGIT OF THE THREE TO PLAY FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP!!!! We were ranked 2nd in the BCS, AP, and Coaches poll. On the other hand, USC was ranked 3rd in the BCS and Oklahoma was ranked 3rd in the AP and Coaches poll. I truely believe that fans in general do not understand how the BCS works and what its objective is. I did not understand how it worked until it affected LSU.