BCS Rules for 3 auto-qualifier??

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by n64lsu, Nov 18, 2010.

1. n64lsu

n64lsu Freshman

Does anyone know what would happen, if Auburn loses a close game to South Carolina, and LSU and Auburn both end up in the top 4 of the BCS?

I doubt that both Auburn and LSU would stay in the top 4 if Auburn loses, but it is a curious possibility with the strength of schedule formula portion possibly keeping both LSU and Auburn up there.

All 3 teams would have auto-qualifier status according to BCS rules, but no more than 2 teams could come from the same conference. Who loses? The lower ranked BCS of Auburn and LSU?

2. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

It could and will never happen.......If auburn were to loose to SC, they would fall to around 8 or 9 area.....loosing that late in the season PLUS to a #21 ranked team with 3 losses already, would not bode well for auburn.

3. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I disagree. People would have a hard time putting them below us.

To answer the original question, I'm not sure what would happen but I can assure you that if LSU is in the top 4 of the BCS, we will go to a BCS game. That's the beauty of a fan base that travels well.

4. n64lsu

n64lsu Freshman

Please remember that in 2007, we lose to an unranked Arkansas team at home, and drop to 5th in the Harris poll, before coming back to #2 a week later. I think that it is a possibility. It was just a curious question.

5. n64lsu

n64lsu Freshman

I'd like to believe that, but the beauty of a fan base that travels well does not trump BCS rules. If it were up to the bowls, sure they'd take LSU, but I'm just trying to figure out what the rule would be.

I'm sure that one of us would drop out of the top 4, but it is still not too improbable.

6. vshouse

vshouse Veteran Member

Right ...we lost to Arkansas, but we had the sec championship game to jump back up in the bcs, if auburn looses the sec championship game ..thats the last game of the year...to help with bcs rankings I mean.

7. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

5. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 4, and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 3 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier, provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

6. If any of the 10 slots remain open after application of provisions 1 through 5, and if no team qualifies under paragraph No. 5 and an at-large team from a conference with an annual automatic berth for its champion is ranked No. 4 in the final BCS Standings, that team will become an automatic qualifier provided that no at-large team from the same conference qualifies for the national championship game.

Is LSU ends up 3rd or 4th in the BCS, LSU will get a BCS berth, unless Auburn were to beat Alabama, lose to South Carolina and still make it to the BCS title game (which actually could still happen since they would be #1 in just about every computer poll, even with a loss to South Carolina). In this case, South Carolina goes to the Sugar and Auburn is in the title game, and you can't have 3 teams from the same conference in a BCS bowl game. Otherwise a #4 ranked LSU would get an automatic at-large.

If LSU were to finish at #5 in the BCS, then you're looking at all the other 1 loss teams (Ohio State/Wisconsin/Michigan State, whomever doesn't win the Big 10 but still only has 1 loss), competing against us.

Stanford would replace Oregon in the Rose Bowl, even if they suffered a 2nd loss. Worse yet, the Rose Bowl would be forced to pick a non AQ if Oregon faces Auburn for the BCS CG. So now the Big 10 champ would face Boise or TCU in the Rose. Now a 1 loss Stanford is in the mix for being selected as an at-large by someone other than the Rose (likely appealing to the Fiesta).

I would say focus on all those 1 loss Big 10 teams, especially Ohio State, who loses their tie breaker to a 1 loss Wisconsin (due to highest ranked BCS team tie breaking procedure by the Big 10). Wisconsin goes to the Rose and Ohio State is waiting for an invite to the BCS, just like LSU. The Fiesta could like an Ohio State/Big 12 Champ matchup (although the Orange picks before the Fiesta this year, something that could work in our favor, if the Orange picks us).

There won't be but 1 potential 1 loss team from the Big 12, so no concern there. The ACC and Big East suck and won't get an at-large selected.

If every team in the top 10 of the BCS win out, then you're looking at:

BCS: Oregon vs Auburn
    Rose: TCU/Boise St vs Wisconsin
    Fiesta: TCU/Boise St/Stanford vs Big 12 Champ
    Sugar: Big East Champ/TCU/Boise St/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan State/Stanford (pick 2)
    ACC: ACC Champ vs Big East Champ/LSU/Ohio State/Michigan State/Stanford

Order of picking: Sugar, Orange, Fiesta

Sugar could conceivably pick Ohio State and would have already selected LSU as their replacement pick for Auburn (in other words, getting both their selections before the ACC and Fiesta get to pick their at-large opponents for the ACC and Big 12 Champs, respectively).

I could see this happening:

BCS: Oregon vs Auburn
    Rose: Boise St vs Wisconsin
    Fiesta: TCU vs Big 12 Champ
    Sugar: LSU vs Ohio State
    Orange: ACC Champ vs Big East Champ (yuk)

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

Loose - an adjective, the opposite of tight or contained.

My shoes are loose

I have a loose tooth

There's a dog running loose in the street

Lose - a verb that means to suffer the loss of, to miss.

I win! You lose!

Don't lose your keys

I never lose bets

Simple carelessness leads people to write loose when they mean lose. Just remember that lose has one o, and loose has two. Start with loose, lose an o, and what do you get? Lose! :thumb:

2 people like this.
  9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

That's rediculous.

You're making him out to be and escape goat.

Their is no time for that.

10. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

Mans we got learneded; turday