BCS Shakeup - What it All Means (1 Loss SEC vs Undefeated Ohio State)

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Nov 30, 2013.

1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

With the Coaches Poll results out, I now declare than a 1 loss Auburn will indeed jump an undefeated Ohio State in the BCS next week, should both teams win.

Oh the humanity, Urban Meyer.

Play somebody, bitch!

GregLSU and lsu-i-like like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

We were much less fucked than the teams that have NC caliber seasons but don't get to play for it on the field. We had our opportunity on the field and lost when it mattered, we would have had to play someone in postseason even in the old system. Champions win. The system was in place when the season started, everyone was aware of it.

Richdog and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. islstl

My favorite part about all of this if it does play out that way (Auburn jumping Ohio State), then Alabama fans have to also live with the fact that Auburn's win over them put them in the NC, vs there being no discussion of Missouri having a similar scenario to jump Ohio State.

4. islstl

Just looked at the computers and it looks like Auburn and Ohio State are going to be tied in the computer polls. There is an outside chance that Auburn could jump Ohio State in the Anderson and Hester poll, if that happens, then that would compute to:

Auburn......... .9500
    Ohio State.... .9300

5. islstl

Harris Poll is out:

Ohio State.. .9478
    Auburn........ .9227

Not as great a position for Auburn in the Harris Poll. About 2/3 of a spot behind Ohio State.

6. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What kind of chance does Mizzou have of jumping Ohio state?

7. islstl

Not that good. They would have to beat Auburn by at least 21, maybe more, and then Ohio State win a game like 6-3.

8. fanatic

fanatic Habitual Line Stepper

I hear you and agree, but my point was more of the fact that a playoff kind of takes away from the regular season. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for having the game settled on the field, but just wish there was a way to do it and still keep the regular season as meaningful as it is now. If this game had happened next year, it would just be another game with an exciting finish, instead of the losing team having their NC hopes dashed.

lsu-i-like likes this.
  9. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

I wonder if there is a quote or a video out there of Urban Meyer saying a 1 loss SEC team should play for a national championship when he was at Florida.

Would be funny if (Pinkel or Malzahn which ever coach wins the SECCG) he breaks out that video or quote and uses it like a political campaign would.

10. islstl

The irony behind it is Florida leap frogged a Big 12 team Michigan after the SEC CG with Michigan having played out their schedule (loss by 3 to #1 Ohio State on the road in a thriller the week before).

So he would not have been arguing a 1 loss Florida over an undefeated Michigan.