BCS-tweaked, overhauled, or...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Jan 23, 2004.

1. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

That's true but had the old system been in place don't you think we would have complained as well? Unless you have a clear cut #1, the #3 team is going to be pissed. But, there would only be one champion and the losers would just have to deal with it. If that is LSU, so be it. Tranghese, the ex-BCS commish, suggested (in an interview with Jim Rome) that the human polls be given MORE input. Trust me, that is bad for LSU.

2. SpringTiger

SpringTiger Founding Member

I think that's what they're going to do - give the human polls more weight.
    If Oklahoma had lost narrowly to K-State and remained ranked in front of LSU, then, under your proposed system, LSU would have been shut out of the Sugar Bowl and the MNC! How would you have felt about that?! And, even forgetting that it would have been our team to get dissed, wouldn't it still seem grossly unfair - especially with our 20-20 hindsight proving that LSU was BETTER than Oklahoma???? No, the system, with the tweaking that you suggest, would still be a STOOPID SYSTEM!!!!!!!

That's no solution! It would STILL be a STOOPID SYSTEM! I have rooted for controversy EVERY year of the BCS so that I could see its death hastened. This year, as an LSU fan, I was a beneficiary of the STOOPID SYSTEM! But that doesn't mean that I don't still firmy believe that it is a STOOPID SYSTEM!!! I feel for USC and its fans, because who's to say that USC wasn't deserving of a shot in the title game? I do believe that LSU would have beaten USC on January 4, 2004, but I could not, and neither could anyone else, say for certain!

This is what I would do to change the system - absent any sort of playoff, which would be the most desirable: If there are two (and ONLY two) undefeated teams from major (BCS) conferences at the end of the season, then match up those two teams and call it a BCS national championship. The same would apply if there are only two one-loss teams and no undefeateds. In any other case, THERE IS NO BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME! We would simply have the same situation that we had for many, many, years, and there might even be a split MNC between the two human polls. But, without a playoff, I just cannot see arbitrarily selecting between two similar teams with the same records, or, at least, the same # of losses!

Ideally, there would three more games following the last bowl game. The winners of the four BCS bowls would move on to play the following week. They could use their silly BCS formulas to "seed" the teams for these games. At least, that would avoid the situation that we had this year, where three different teams could claim a right to get one of only two spots in the "playoff."

STOOPID SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Ralph_Wiggum

Ralph_Wiggum Founding Member

I'd like for things to go back to how they were before. Sec v. at-large in the sugar, big 12 v. at-large in orange with the Rose Bowl going back to big ten v. pac ten.

Doubt that would happen, but a possible scenario is the big ten, pac ten and rose bowl to leave the bcs. Then the USA Today/ESPN poll gets broken from having to vote the winner of a bowl game number one.

Then the you get system we had before the big ten and pac ten joined to create the bcs. You had the bowl coalition, but the coaches poll would break free from having to vote for the bcs winner number 1.

You would have two very viable bowl games each year. The rose bowl with a pac ten big ten matchup would sell out every year and another bowl game does well with a possible 1 team if it's not in the rose bowl.

4. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

What everyone needs to realize is that a playoff is not going to happen. Never. So any solution that involves a playoff is not a solution. The influence of the 2 major polls (AP/Coaches) must be watered down or media bias will always be a major factor in who gets to play for the trophy. I think the BCS works. It's the public's understanding that needs tweaking.

5. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I totally agree with SabanFan.

The only way there will ever be a playoff in college football is if
    a bunch of colleges defect and start one on thier own.

I really like Cottonbowls idea, Under his idea LSU would've been
    shut out of the Sugar Bowl!:dis: :angry: :cuss: :cuss:

I just don't understand this guy?:shock:

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Nobody does.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Never say Never. Next year the BCS might work perfectly like it did in 2002 with Ohio State and Miami or it could screw up even worse than it did in 2001 putting Nebraska in the NC. I'm happy it worked out in LSU's favor this year but I still hate the BCS.

8. Sooner70

Sooner70 Freshman

Agree mostly with SabanFan, but seems a conference championship should count for something, & those that don't play for one, then not.

9. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Hey Bengal B, under my plan LSU would have played USC in the Sugar Bowl. I guess you can't help it if you are just stupid.

Goes without saying.

10. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Let me not forget Sourdoughman, the original stupid. LSU would have played USC in the Sugar Bowl, braindead.