BCS-tweaked, overhauled, or...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

Cottonbowl,

Have you ever had a post when you didn't insult people or use the name calling routine?:D

I forgive you this time:shock:

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Hey Dumbass, this is what you said:

quote:
    If Oklahoma had lost by one point to Kansas State, they probably would have kept their number one ranking even though they did not win their conference. If you put the conference rule in, you are back to a controversy

If the AP and Coach's polls agree on 1 and 2, then ignore the BCS and send those two teams to the NC game.

If OU had remained #1 in both polls after a close win USC would have remained #2 in those polls. Under your proposed system of throwing out the computer ranking in the case of 2 teams being ranked 1 & 2 in both polls LSU would have been the team that got screwed, not USC.

Maybe we should take up a collection to buy you a thinking cap.

3. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

If you two don't have anything intelligient to say next time, let it go.

I said that if the AP and Coach's polls agree on who is 1 and 2 then that should be used to select the two teams in the NC game.

This year that would have been LSU and USC.

Like I said, go talk to each other. Then you can relate.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Go back and read your own F*CKING words you ignorant Butthole. YOU said that if OU had only lost a close game they would have stayed #1 in both polls. USC would have stayed #2 in both polls. LSU would have been #3 in both poll despite being #2 behind OU and ahead of USC in the BCS computers. If the teams rated #1 and #2 under your own scenario had been the BCS NC opponents it would have been OU and USC.

Maybe you can find a doctor who can cure you of your terminal case of Diaharia of the Keyboard.

5. Eauxkie Tiger

Eauxkie Tiger Founding Member

Couple of things. The human polls still play a large part in the BCS number, maybe too large. Had LSU jumped to #1 in the polls after the SECCG, then LSU would've #1 in the BCS as well. LSU & OU would have still played in the Sugar,, and USC would've been out of any NC picture.

Strength of Schedule needs to be replaced with dome sort of power rating, because SOS only looks at W/L. 8-4 Fla counts the same as 8-4 North Texas, but Fla is much better than NTSU. There needs to be some method of giving weight to programs relative strength compared to others.

6. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Ain't no way Oklahoma deserved to play in New Orleans and that stinking 35-7 blowout by KSU ... said it before the game and say it again.

but ... ~U~N~T~I~L~ they agree to change this system and make a provision that the AP/ESPN 1-2 in the Final BCS poll goes regardless of BCS point total ... it's never gonna change and history will repeat itself.

I say this ... and if the AP Voters HAVE A SINGLE TESTICLE AMONG THEM THEY'LL CHANGE ... put those AP necks into the same damned noose of the coaches ... the winner of the BCS #1 Bowl must be voted CHAMP... AND THERE'LL BE NO BULLSHIT.

And, if the AP renegs on it once ... the NCAA can cast the AP poll into the figging trash can for good and take it out of the system.

These pricks want it both ways ... it's time to make 'em put up or STFU ...

and cut their damned nuts off and castrate their "whimsy".

7. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

Bengal B, I said "IF" Oklahoma had lost by one point. But they DID NOT LOSE BY ONE POINT, did they?

At the end of the season, USC and LSU were ranked 1 and 2 in both the AP and Coach's polls. That means that under what I suggested, USC and LSU would play in the Sugar Bowl.

From now on, I propose that neither you or I respond to each other on the board. Is that OK with you?

Same for Sourdoughman, who apparently is incapable of understanding the written word either.

Especially after you two have had a bellyful of beer, I do not want to have to waste my time responding to either one of you clueless persons.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Everybody's right but everbody's wrong.

Actually a lot of good posts on this thread. Now for a couple of notes, of course just my thoughts and I'm wrong most of the time too.

1. The BCS will be tweaked, they aren't going to get rid of it and they shouldn't, the polls had 64 years or so to get it right and didn't. And before I go any farther let me say that in years where their are more the 2 deserving teams it will never be perfect, never. At least the BCS TRIES to measure who should get in by using criteria other than just peoples opinions. The things they are going to try and tweak will be the SOS, by adding in road games into the formula, probably by adding some sort of a power or RPI ranking as they do in basketball and my forming a selection committee, also like they have in basketball. However, in any scenario similar to this year there will still be controversy and in the end controversy is very good for the college game as it keeps it in the forefront all year long.

2. Schools breaking off from the NCAA to form a new league, division or whatever will not happen. The NCAA is in reality run by the same presidents who would STILL be in charge of a new system and they are the ones who do NOT want a playoff of any kind.

3. BSF, you do have right mostly when you say that it's the public's perception that needs to be tweaked however you were wrong about all nine polls having equal status. The AP and Coaches polls get 2/3's of the poll influence and the other 7 polls devide 1/3 of the computer poll influence.

4. To say we should go back to the old format is not what I would want at all as then the matchups are left to the bowls themselves and we end up having too many scenario's where none of the best teams are even playing each other, such as a Notre Dame getting in one of the best bowls just because they are Notre Dame. You can have 1,2,3 and 4 all playing in a different game. Stupid IMO.

5. The presidents and coaches both voted against the extra playogg game scenario already so that shot down what everyone thought was going to be the easiest solution and of course that would have been a logistical nightmare to have t ONLY if it were needed in case of 2 teams still having the same record, status, etc.

6. They will add a fifth game to the BCS but think it will necessarily go to the Cotton Bowl, it hasn't been one of the major bowls in a long time and they never were offered a spot in the BCS as someone said earlier as the Fiesta had long since passed the Cotton in importance and status. And it had nothing to do with money as all of the BCS bowls get a lot more out of the BCS than ever before as ABC foots the bill and pays about 5 times more for having all 4 bolws on their network than 3 networks use to pay. I think the Cap one bowl would probably get the added BCS bowl or the Peach as it has really gone up in the eyes of most people connected with bowls and the NCAA as it has sold out every year for about 6 years now and of course it is played in an indoor stadium.

9. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Ramah that's all fine and Dandy but the AP doesn't belong to the BCS in any way. They declined to be the major "decider" of the BCS my having an active roll when the BCS was first organized. Of course it didn't help becuase since the AP Poll is public knowledge the BCS folks used it anyway, it's just that the AP is officially part pf the process. They're going to keep doing their poll no matter what and public opinion will always be on their side since they control the media.

10. Sourdoughman

Sourdoughman TigerFan of LSU and the Tigerman

I'll respond to any post I want too, If you can't take the heat get
    out of the kitchen.

You are such a SCROOGE!

Just for saying that I will respond to you more!:D