BCS-tweaked, overhauled, or...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by diamondheadtiger, Jan 23, 2004.

1. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I'm in total agreement with SabanFan. There is nothing wrong with the BCS as it is, if you are going to use this system. Unlike the human polls, which reward/penalize a team based upon WHEN it loses/wins, the computers treat ALL wins/losses equally. The human polls only take into account "What have you done for me lately" while the computers treat the season as a whole.
    This is the way it is done in playoffs and seedings for any other sport. You can't say a team is better than any other and more deserving of a shot at the championship based only on what happened in their last game. If an NFL team wins its first eight games and loses its next eight, and in that first 8 game win streak defeats its division rival twice, is its division rival who loses its first 8 and then wins its next 8 declared the champion because it finished better? No. The entire season is what matters and that's the BCS.
    If you're going to give more credence to the human polls, then don't have the computers. In the BCS, all things are treated equally. If you go by the human polls, then the season doesn't really matter.
    And until every conference plays a CCG, then winning your conference should not be a qualification factor.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!

LSU, 2003, BEST IN THE NATION AND THE SEC!!!!!!

:geaux: :helmet: :lsug: :helmet: :geaux:

2. CottonBowl'66

CottonBowl'66 Founding Member

You have apparently got a reading comprehension problem. I did not say what you keep insisting I said. You are a waste of time.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Ditto

4. Turbotigerfan

Turbotigerfan Founding Member

The real reason the media got behind USC this year instead of LSU is because they can't stand it that they no longer decide and so inform us whom the National Champion is. Hence, they were looking for the first opportunity to create controversy in which they could try to tear down the BCS. But the whole reason for the BCS in the first place was because the polls had deteriorated down into nothing more than a very unfair popularity contest.

There's only one real solution that will solve the controversy once and for all and that is the implementation of a real playoff system that is integrated into the current bowl system, and the easiest way to implement a playoff system is for the eight biggest conferences to form a coalition together and agree to each send one representative from their respective conferences, their conference champions, to an eight game playoff the first round games to be played the first week after the conference championship games are concluded and the conference champions are decided. The four winners (semifinalists) of the first round of playoff games will then play on a rotating basis in two of the current BCS bowl games on New Years day to determine who the two teams in the finals will be, and the four losers of the first round playoff games will also play consolation games in the other two BCS bowl games, keeping with the tradition of having top notch match ups for the New Years Day bowl games. A newly implemented NCAA Division 1A College Super Bowl will then be played seven days after the New Years Day semifinal bowl games are played to determine the National Champion.

Of course, all other non-BCS bowl games are scheduled and played just as they are today with no changes whatsoever. This solution is so absurdly simple to implement that it is absolutely stupid not to do so, which, unfortunately, is exactly why it never will be implemented.

5. Turbotigerfan

I learned a long time ago -- never to say never. In every survey that I have ever seen on the subject, the public is always overwhelmingly in favor of some sort of Division 1A college football playoff system to decide the true national champions, and all the excuses over the years used to shoot down a playoff system have always been really lame, sort of why it's lame to also say a playoff isn't a solution because it will NEVER happen. Who says it will never happen anyway? Mostly sportswriters who want the exclusive power to decide for us and tell us all who the MNC is! I don't and will never accept or subscribe to this!

The only reason why we don't already have a playoff system in place now is because the right people haven't presented and gotten behind the right proposal, because everybody is too busy protecting his/her own turf to come up with a decent and viable playoff solution. If you read my post above to CottoBowl'66, I think you will agree that the proposal contained in it, indeed, is a very workable, viable solution and an extremely easy one in which to sell and implement, and the best thing about it is its simplicity and ease at integrating with the current bowl system.

I couldn't agree with you more, because I remember just like yesterday when the MNC had deteriorated down into a sort of glorified popularity contest. Remember, this is also the same media that earlier this season agreed that the 2003 version of the OU Sooner football team was the greatest Sooner team in history, and then they proceeded to promptly lose two football games in a row, one of them -- the MNC game to LSU, and these are also the same sportswriters declaring the USC Trojans national champions, because offense sells tickets and, apparently, sportswriters too.

The whole purpose of the BCS with the inclusion of the computer polls were to remove the bias out of the system and attempt to inject more fairness. That being said, however, I still believe an 8-team playoff system fully integrated with the current bowl system, as set forth in my aforementioned post, is the ultimate and absolute best solution.

6. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

The reason I stated that playoffs are never going to happen is based upon ex-BCS Commissioner Mike Tranghese's interview with Jim Rome. He said that the Presidents are adamantly anti-playoff and he (Tranghese) saw no room for compromise in their stance. He was very convincing.

7. Turbotigerfan

Yeah, of course, the college presidents are against it, but I really believe if you get enough public momentum behind the right proposal and with the right people pushing it that even the college presidents won't be able to stop it.

8. Sooner70

Sooner70 Freshman

What if one left everything about the BCS as is, but added the qualifier that to play in the NC game, the team had to win their conference (regardless of whether or not there was a divisional playoff)? Doesn't mean that if a team was ranked high & didn't win conference they wouldn't play in a BCS bowl...would just mean not in the designated NC BCS bowl.

9. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Div 1A college football will always be "Mythical" and surrounded by controversy until the NCAA decides upon a system to crown a champion!

We can send men to the moon and robots to Mars, but can't figure out how to crown a champion!

10. Tigernator

Tigernator Founding Member

The BCS definitely needs to be tweaked. Everyone is missing an important point. It wasn't until after the final game (SEC Championship) that LSU surpassed USC in the BCS rankings. LSU should have been ahead of USC in the BCS weeks before then. LSU's schedule was obviously tougher than USC.
    :lsug: