Be careful what you wish for.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Let's not forget the schedule we have on hand next year either. It has to also play into the decision I would think. Leading off with UNC in Atlanta, we certainly don't want to lay a dud. (Which could happen either way, but I'm more of the point of view that we give Crowton one more season.)

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

of course, you didn't know that? :dis:

Work in Baton Rouge = work with LSU = fit with the players that we have.

3. asignupe99

asignupe99 Founding Member

Well, I'm not a fan of changing offenses on a young QB, but like ok awesome said...i'd rather the QB know half of a good offense than all of a crappy one. I still think the biggest part of Crowton's problem is too much in the playbook and too much in the cupboard. He doesn't know what to do with it all. It's supposed to confuse the defense and force them to pick their poison...but it ends up being predictable. There's some magic in that playbook of his. Evil genius type magic. Don't know if this fanbase will let him harness it though.

And since we're talking if not Crowton, then who...

I think the head coach on the opposite sideline has an excellent future...don't know if he's ready for SEC ball week in and week out, but I'm sure Tech knows they have him on borrowed time. He seems to be a guy who won't make many bad decisions, but he'll never have enough at Tech to be very good because they're not the flagship program in the state, yet they play teams like Hawaii and Boise St. who are.

4. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

This.

Maybe the reason that JJ has taken 'so long' to adjust to Crowton's system is because Crowton's system is effing garbage? Besides, I don't know what proof we have that JJ has been so slow to progress, anyway. Yes, the game plan was kept extremely simple in the beginning of the year, and most people assumed that they were just dumbing down Gary's supposedly ultra-complex playbook. However, go back and look at the 2 games that JJ started last year. He was executing essentially the same system that we've been 'running' since the Auburn game, and JJ has really turned the corner since that time. So frankly, I don't see a lot of evidence that indicates JJ has had such a hard time learning the system. Remember, this is only the guy's second year in college.

Also, unless your new OC is trying to implement some gimmicky system (like the spread option), there really isn't a huge learning curve. All of the basics are still there. Gary blew up in his first year at LSU. Bama's OC turned things around overnight upon his arrival. And someone has already mentioned Auburn this year. So I don't think there'd be a huge risk involved in changing OC's.

But this is all inconsequential. No way in hell Miles switches OC's before next year. None. I wish I were wrong, but I just don't see it happening.

5. LaSalleAve

good point, or way too complicated, (crowton's offense that is)

6. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

Personally, I think it has to do with Crowtons inability to develop a QB. He's the QB coach also. I think regardless of the offensive system we run.. an OC who can legitimately develop a QB will be far more effective.

7. LaSalleAve

true.

What gets me, is does this team look like the Colts in practice or something? It would seem to me, that if you have a quarterback who really isn't a fit for what you try to do on offense or just doesn't seem to get your offense, why wouldn't you modify your offense to best suit that player, and play to the player's strengths, instead of continuing to use a pistol to hammer nails in the wall.

8. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Honestly, our offensive production seems to consistantly fall further back each week, with a few weeks of good play thrown in to mix it up. Can this offense really be set back further than it is now?

This may very well be true to some degree... but how many times since GC has been at LSU have we seem him run certain formations or plays, get huuuge gains from it... only to abandon it completely the rest of the game and watch our offense go several 3 and outs?

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy8nyo4FkxA

And another point that goes hand in hand with this... when we do finally execute, we're killing ourselves in FS or illegal formation penalties, those kinds of things rest squarly on the shoulders of the OC. It's becoming habit...

9. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Sounds to me like part of you already knows the right answer... the other part just isn't listening right now.

10. alfredeneuman

alfredeneuman Founding Member

As opposed to the defense having to learn a new system this year? They may not be the #1 ranked D in the country, but it's most certainly a change in a positive direction.

Maybe in change in OC wouldn't be such a bad thing.