BEACH VOLLEYBALL

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by 65Grad, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Again, it takes mental and physical ability to be good at professional wrestling

And yes, auto racing is a aport. NASCAR drivers have to be physically fit to bear up to being behinx the wheel of a car where the interior temperature can be over 16O. All by making lightning fast decions on the racetrack to pass other cars and avoid wrecks while traveling all in excess of 200 mph. They risk their lives and yhe winner is decided by who crosses the finish line first just like in foot races and swimming races.

Brian likes this.
  2. GiantDuckFan

GiantDuckFan be excellent to each other Staff Member

lol, we've done a lot of laps arguing about this,.. the Bengal 500

Oregon planning biggest video board in college football, new sound system at Autzen Stadium
    https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2020/03/oregon-planning-biggest-video-board-in-college-football-new-sound-system-at-autzen-stadium.html

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    Brian and Bengal B like this.
  3. Rolan

Rolan Back to my roots

So you have to be able to die from your activity for it to be a sport? Gymnast and snow boarders are both great athletes and have died while practicing and competing in their sport. Just seems the logic to say something is a sport and what is not a sport is circular and a personal opinion. And all the same logic you used to qualify driving a car as a sport can be used for these sports.

I used to say some of the same things, just changed my mind on it eventually. A sport is something you compete in against someone else. However in some individual sports, it is against a standard. For sure there is much more fuzy logic in those sports since it is judged and not a straight measurement of points, distance, time, speed, etc.

Wrestling is not a sport because you are not competing, your are performing a show with a known outcome. The show is simulating a sport. Wrestling, Olympic wrestling is a sport. I would argue the NFL is no longer a sport, seems the NFL likes to put it's finger on the scales and help decide the outcomes. It is entering the wrestling arena of entertainment and leaving the sport behind.

WWE Wrestlers are for sure athletes, but also paid actors.

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

It certainly takes more physical exertion to snowboard or be a gymnast than it does to push a gas pedal.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

I hear you, however it gets hot inside those cars and I'm not sure what sort of mental acuity it takes to go 180+ inches away from 15 other cars for a few hours at a time.

Sport? Eh debatable I guess but you have to have your shit together to drive a racecar.

Bengal B and Rolan like this.
  6. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Meh, I do it every day after work. I am the freeway ninja

Bengal B, KyleK, furduknfish and 2 others like this.
  7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

no.... and it's not a sport either....

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Racing of almost any kind is a sport. Even horse racing.

9. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

When I was an Ensign I lived at Mission Bay, just north of San Diego. Right, and I mean right outside our door was a beach volleyball court. I’ve been a fan ever since!

Rolan, Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  10. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

OK, grind on this. Is chess a sport?, You're playing against an opponent, you must physically move pieces and it is extremely mentally challenging.

Brian likes this.