Become a Marrow Donor ... FOR FREE until May 19

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by gooup, May 15, 2008.

1. gooup

gooup Founding Member

Hey guys,

Throughout our walk with Justin, I’ve tried to stress the importance of becoming a bone marrow donor. Thanks to the selfless giving of a total stranger, Justin received the gift of life not once, not twice … this remarkable person donated THREE TIMES. Justin is ALIVE because of this person.

HOW AWESOME IS THAT?

Normally, due to a lack of federal funding, joining the marrow donor registry incurs a $52 fee to have your sample typed. But NOW, you can join the registry for FREE through May 19th (or until funding runs out).

Please, PLEASE … consider joining the registry. All it requires is a swabbing of the inside of your mouth with cotton swabs which the registry mails to you. You swab your cheeks, mail the swabs back to the registry and you are assigned a number according to your type.

No needles. No pain. Just the chance to SAVE A LIFE.

Find out more at:

Donor Garden - National Marrow Donor Program®

Please, pass this on. My sister witnessed too many children lose their battle against Leukemia and other horrific diseases. Join now FOR FREE and become somebody’s hero.

2. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I had no idea registering was so easy! No pain. No needles. No blood taken. They are sending me cheek swaps. That is all!!

When I was young I had a bone marrow test run and remember it being one of the most painful experiences of my life. I swear the needle was al long as my arm! But I think after almost 20 years and knowing that I may be able to help save a life I could endure the pain.

I am never able to give blood due to low iron and have been listed as an organ donor since I started driving. Maybe this will be my way of helping a child in need. :thumb:

This is for you JayB!

1 person likes this.
  3. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I am already registered, they were doing a special thing one of the times when I donated blood, and I am pretty sure I did the marrow doner thing.

4. CajunlostinCali

CajunlostinCali Booger Eatin Moron

Done. :thumb:

5. orlandotiger

orlandotiger GEAUX TIGERS!

Did it earlier but I have a question, what is the actual procedure to donating? Also is it done in your hometown or do you have to travel?

6. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

From what I read there are 2 ways.

1. Surgical where there is no pain.

2. They take blood out of one arm, take out the cells they need and put the rest back in the other arm

7. lsufaninmiss

lsufaninmiss GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know about that OT, but I have often wondered about it. Maybe Justin's uncle can tell us.

8. lsubatgirl04

lsubatgirl04 Cupcake Thief

I got my kit in the mail yesterday evening and sent the swabs off this morning. Here is what my info book says about the procedure if you are a match-

1. Attend an informational session
    2. Receive a physical exam
    3. Give marrow through a surgical procedure (marrow donation) or give blood forming cells through aphersis (PBSC donation)
    4. Recover from any side effects
    5. Receive follow-up support

Doesn't say anything about travel. But it does say when you are cleared your are scheduled at the nearest donation center.