Ben Voogd

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Mar 13, 2006.

1. LSUGOLFER

LSUGOLFER Founding Member

Work on his shot? You've seen him shoot what 10 times. Maybe Brady is missing out on a coach here.

2. blindside517

blindside517 Founding Member

he holds the ball too low when he shoots, he needs to raise that elbow a little more.

3. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

I've seen him shoot hundreds of times. He has a nice moves around the basket with layups. For perimeter shots though, it's like he pushes the ball from his chest when he shoots.

4. LSUGOLFER

LSUGOLFER Founding Member

HMMMMM So rivals.com must not know what they are talking about. They never brought that up. They only have how he was a high-scoring point guard.

** Pardon me if I am wrong, but didnt Phillip Rivers have a crazy throwing motion. Looks like it worked out pretty well to me.

5. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

If he is open, he should shoot. No matter what his shot is like. Especially from three point land. I bet he drove to the basket a lot in high school too, he's got some fast wheels and can be successful doing so. Also he is a good passer (at least shows signs of brilliance at times too) and players have to respect that when he goes to the basket.

6. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Voogd is not that great at PG, no better at ball security than Tack Minor was. The telling stat is the turnovers that were posted above. 50 TO in such limited playing time is worrisome. I know it's cool for everyone to cheer on a white guy who would appear to be a good game manager, but he is far from our best point guard option, even our 2nd. GTemple is a lot better on D, and plays much smarter. he does however lack aggression at times, which is one thing I'll give Voogd, he is not as cautious to penetrate.

To sum up-Mitchell gives us playmaking at the spot, and Temple provides intelligence and great defense. Works for me.

7. clair

clair Rockets

you ever saw the commercial where the guy gets hit in the face with the ball when he shoots?

that is what would happen to Voogd if he shot it regularly... He shoots like most 9-10 year olds to... It goes it when he is open, but shooting like that, he will never be open enough to create his own look

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Golfer would blame Brady if Ben V did crank up 10 shots a game and missed most of them. The guy knows his role, is learning the college game and will start putting shots up as his playing time increases and his confidence improves.

Also, i think you can look at almost all of the players on this team and see they have improved quite a bit in the turnover department. D. Mitchell wasn't used to playing the 1 spot and has gotten much better as the season progressed, Ben and Temple have gotten better as they have adapted to the better athletes they are facing.

A redshirt year would have been good for Ben, even though the all knowing Tigereducated said last year that Temple and Thomas wouldn't be SEC caliber players since they redshirted last season.

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Keeping the Brady factor out of it, I'd say that I agree a little more with this poster than others who think Voogd walks on water and would have made this team soooo much better with more PT. While I will say that Voogd is no Charlie Thompson, he hasn't impressed me as much as I would have liked to be this year. The word coming out of his recruitment was that he was a big scorer in his Jr. year and became more of a leader/PG in his senior year--that he was a real underrated recruit as he outplayed Vegas competition in AAU ball.

I'm afraid Ben's been perhaps hyped a little too much too early on in the season ... the kid from Oregon who's going to turn heads. Bottomline, he's a decent PG who IS a freshman who will become a solid contributor over time. He's at times been timid on offense (not sure how the kid scored 26+ points his junior year), has been prone to turnovers (sloppy passing to go with the ocassional highlight reel behind the back pass), and isn't necessarily the quickest guy off the dribble and needs better strength and quickness to stay with more athetic guards.

Believe me, I do think over time he'll get better, and let's be honest, he fills the role of a "safe" PG that Brady likes to get the offense under control. I think Ben needs to work on his confidence/aggressiveness within the offense, cut down on his turnovers, and work damn hard in the off season on his strength and quickness. I think Ben is the closest thing to a true PG that we have right now, and thus, he's still very important to the team. If he can give us quality minutes in the tourney, that will be an added bonus.

10. kcal

kcal Founding Member