Ben Voogd

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

This is slightly off topic, and I'm not one usually to criticize in the win, but hopefully the posters on this topic paid attention last night.

Ben became a little bit of a target by the Iona team and commentators. Biggest problem? He's supposed to be the sure ballhandler and guy to help break the press. Unfortunately, Ben stuggled yesterday. A couple of bad passes and long court pass overthrown to D.Mitch, three turnovers and 0 assists. Also, the Iona guards smelled blood in the water and the team went to full court pressure d when Ben came in. Ben played 6 minutes and left Temple and D.Mitch to play 35+ minutes each.

We've got to see now what kind of mental mettle Ben has. He's a freshman, big stage, getting quality minutes, and he falls on his face. Hopefully, he shakes it off and plays better in Saturday's game.

Interestingly, the commentators were a little hard on Ben I thought, but Brando did say, "in defense of Ben, there are going to be teams where he can really help the Tigers..." Seems to suggest that for non-pressing teams that allow the Tigers to work their half-court offense, Ben would be great.

I want to love Ben... I do. But, man, he's got play smarter and better. I sometimes see a little bit too much him trying to make the Jason Kidd pass, rather than sticking within his skill set.

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

Yeah, I definitely noticed and was disappointed. Hopefully he can put together some better minutes against the aggies.

3. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

One thing's for certain. Ben didn't hone his game on the NYC playgrounds. :wink:

I hope that last night was a good learning experience for Ben. He is still just a Freshman and I've seen positives in his game.

4. 65Grad

65Grad Maturity is Overrated

I haven't seen him play much, but every time he's seemed more like a deer in the head lights than a DivI point guard.:dis:

5. SabanFan

He's had his moments.

6. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

He looked great against Vandy.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

y'all are way too hard on him. that's the toughest position to play as a true frosh. he doesnt get much pt. he would improve with more. he'll be fine. i think he'll end up being better than bright in 3 yrs.

he does often go for broke on passes. prolly not the best idea, but some of those turnovers may be on the receivers. if they arent expecting him to try a tough pass they be get a half-step late and thats the dif between off the fingers and in the hands.

8. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

:shock: Are you serious? Torris goes down as LSU's 2nd highest 3 point shooter, and was like a 13-14 point, 4-5 assist, 38-40% 3 pt shooter, kind of PG in every year he played. I like Ben too, but this statement is a little crazy.

I'll give Ben credit since he is a freshman, and I also think he'll improve. But, Bright as a freshman assumed the role of PG on the Stro' team that went to the sweet 16.

None of these things happened last night.

I don't want to be hard on Ben, but I'm calling it like I saw it based on a game at the highest level. It will be interesting to see how things go next year with Ben. Tack is also at times careless with the ball and I'll be the first to say that Ben has an opportunity to develop as a more consistent back up next year. Perhaps he'll come more into his own in his senior year (remember Tack gets two more years of eligibility).

But, I'll also say ... selfishly for the team... Jai Lucas, I hope you're watching the Bayou Bengals play right now...

:geauxtige :bball: :champs: LSU IS A BASKETBALL SCHOOL.

9. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

i dont think its very worthwhile to judge a player on 8 minutes of pt.

torris was a great freshman that evolved into a decent senior.
    here's his last few games--not very good for a good sec senior (one good game). his season was better (atleast assists, to, and steals) but this is when it really counted.

## Player Name FG-FGA 3pt ft OF DE T PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
    03 BRIGHT, Torris...... g 4-10 2-6 0-0 1 1 2 0 10 1 2 0 0 33
    03 BRIGHT, Torris...... g 3-8 2-6 2-2 0 2 2 0 10 4 5 0 0 27
    03 BRIGHT, Torris...... g 1-5 1-4 0-0 0 1 1 0 3 2 5 0 0 32
    03 BRIGHT, Torris...... * 5-9 4-7 3-9 0 3 3 3 17 5 2 0 1 28

BV can be better than this in the end when it counts. i would expect better A/T, more steals and better FG and FT %.

players can improve a lot. i dont expect him to be all sec next year, but he can be a better pg than bright in his senior season.

10. SabanFan

Iona? Not quite.:)