Ben Voogd

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu-i-like, Mar 13, 2006.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

By highest level, I mean the big dance generically. :)

And, I'll say after watching yesterday's game, don't knock Iona. When you just stack up Burtt and Soliver as pretty quick guards, I was generally more impressed with them than many of the SEC guards.... Ben shouldn't be too embarassed. Those NY ballers were quick and can play.

2. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I'm willing to see how he does next season before passing judgement on a true freshman point guard...

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Me too, and after watching so many games I'd say a lot of teams have point guards that looked like a deer in head lights on more than a few ocassions. Even Paulus of Duke played some terrible ball yesterday.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

That was quite possibly the best guard tandem in the nation. They were certainly much quicker than what Ben could handle. He got his ankles broken at least twice the first time he went in. I'd say it qualified as the highest level as far as who Voogd matched up against.

5. lsubasketball

lsubasketball Founding Member

Mark my words.

Ben is a decent guard. He will never be a starter. He will never be a Torris Bright type guard.

He can't defend at all. Sure he can dribble, he can pass from time to time. He wouldn't start at most JUCO schools.

Watch next year when we have Tack Minor back along with Garrett Temple, Terry Martin, Jr. and Damean Mason. Ben will be lucky to get minutes. just my opinion here.

6. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have a friend who supposedly knows Terry Martin pretty well. He's told me that Terry will be the starter at PG next year.

Now, I doubt that Brady or any coach saying that. I imagine that's Terry telling him that and I admit that I like his confidence. He's working to improve his ballhandling skills supposedly. I can't call it for sure since I don't have firsthand info, but apparently Terry sees a hole in the lineup and has mentally prepared himself to work and be the guy that fills it.

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

There is obviously a hole in the line-up; Voogd doesn't shoot the ball and gets rattled (looked good in limited play time against Texas) and Tack has no control. Tack and Voogd may improve, they better, but even so we aren't solid at that position.

8. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Can we fuse those two together and make a good PG? Possibly a DMitch?

9. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

10. ChineseBandit

ChineseBandit Founding Member

I'll tell ya what, Voogd had great fake pass in that game the other day. Best I've seen in all the games I've watched. He faked cross court which drew a Longhorn to try to intercept, leaving Mitchell ( I think) open. Voogd quickly dishes to Mitchell and he drives to the rim which forced another Longhorn to come off Thomas standing right under it. Mitchell lobs it up and Thomas gets it and slams it. Whole play starts with Voogd's fake.