Bernie Sanders to launch Pres. campaign

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 28, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

No, you just don't understand economics. You can't get something for nothing. Government costs money and everyone has to pay a fair share.

2. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

I understand the thinking but this is a line that pundits have thrown out there and simply isn't true on a macro level.

Even when you take into account payroll taxes, which in itself is a silly way to look at it, we still have a progressive tax rate. Maybe there are individual situations where high earners pay a lower effective tax rate but those cases are rare and are not indicative of the big picture. Bottom line is that if you pay 18%, a higher earner on average, will pay much more.

http://pgpf.org/budget-explainer/taxes

And I know nothing about this source so if it's slanted, pick another one. There are a bunch of them online.

The NFL giving up their tax exempt status did virtually nothing to change the amount of revenue to the IRS. The NFL doesn't make much money anyway, the teams do. And they are taxed.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

That's not the point, while a rich person who pays 12 percent will pay more from a dollars and cents point of view than I will at 18%, that 18 percent hurts me waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more. And the NFL thing just needed to be done because they profit 9 billion a year and pay nothing. That isn't fair.

red55 likes this.
  4. mobius481

You missed my point. rich people don't pay 12 percent. They pay 26%. It still hurts you more than it hurts them but, as a group, they aren't paying less as a percentage than you are. They just aren't.

The NFL does not profit 9 billion. It's members do and that money is distributed to them. they are taxed on that money. It's about 20 million or so that the NFL will be taxed on. Frankly, they're idiots for not doing it earlier. Now they don't have to disclose Goodell's salary.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Last I heard the NFL paid Roger Goodell $41 Million a year

6. mobius481

Yeah, it's a big embarassing number. Now they can keep it private.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

incorrect. shanes boss hired him just kinda for the hell of it. hes got a cush gig.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Probably hired him because shane is the only guy he can beat at golf

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Those ninjas are all scared of me. They golf all the damn time while I'm out slaving away. They don't want none of me.

Bengal B likes this.
  10. tigerchick46

tigerchick46 Quick Learner

Does "everyone" include the leaches who live off the gov't? Our government wastes more money than it would take to run an efficient gov't.

Bengal B and shane0911 like this.