Bernie Sanders to launch Pres. campaign

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LaSalleAve, Apr 28, 2015.

1. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Bruh, I don't want anything to do with the words back and surgery in the same sentence. I will suffer, I will rehab, I will do physical therapy, I will do whatever I have to before I let anyone put a knife to my spinal cord.

2. kcal

kcal Founding Member

i put it off until i had to about 7 years ago. had the surgery and was walking without pain (to an extent) 30-40 min. out of recovery.

i guess i'm one of the lucky ones who was better off after back surgery.

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

If I was in a position where the pain was unbearable I would still be wary. I would take my chances if the only options were dying or being healed but I would rather die than become paralyzed.

4. shane0911

See, this is the thing. I think you are the only person I have ever heard say they have come out of spinal surgery better than they went in.

There isn't much I'm afraid of, but shit that is out of my control absolutely terrifies me. Being knocked out while some guy/gal who may or may not have done 1 too many keg stands has the rest of my life in HIS/HER hands just isn't my thing. (I'd surely opt for a woman surgeon if I had the choice)

I can choose to work harder to strengthen my core, I can choose to stand up straighter and keep my gut sucked in, I can choose to do a bunch of things that will make my back feel better. Once I take that needle my options are nil.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Best to talk to multiple experts. There is some surgery that is needed to protect your spinal column. It has changed the lives of a couple of people I know who were in constant pain. One was on a morphine pump the pain was so bad. He couldn't do a goddamn thing. But the surgery worked and he is pain and drug free.

6. shane0911

I'm not that bad off...yet. Lil stiff in the morning (bring it you jolly jokers) but after a few minutes I can move around and all is well. I don't even know if surgery will help because I think it is a disc and I don't think there is anything they can do for that other than shots to deaden the nerves that the disc presses on. For now whiskey helps.

7. kcal

kcal Founding Member

you have to understand "better". i was in terrible, terrible pain, with a sciatic nerve pinched between 2 ruptured discs that had ruptured out to the side. you won't be perfect after surgery but in my case, i was better

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Get the info. My mom had three degenerated disks in her neck that were causing her intense headaches. They fused the three disks together and her pain went away. The downside was only a very slight decrease in the range of motion in her neck. No big deal for a woman in her 60's. It's not like she was going to be pitching in the big leagues.

9. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

Back and neck surgery success seems to vary widely. I know people who have been helped and those multiple surgeries have done nothing for.
    The main thing is to get the right surgeon an do the rehab fully and correctly. Yes that should be the same advice for all medical but too few people do enough research and ask the tough questions. There isn't a more critical area than back and neck.

10. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Getting back to Bernie for a sec, he is a guest on a radio show I listen to every Friday around noon, and something he has been talking about a lot lately is this Trans Pacific Partnership or TPP. Everything I have heard about this has been negative. Does anyone here who knows more about this subject want to break this whole TPP thing down for us? Why is it bad or conversely, why is it good?