Best 3 days of Baseball Yet this Year?.....

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Hub, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Hub

Hub Founding Member

I've been critical of the Tigers all season for inconsistency. However, over the last 3 days IMO they played there best "series" of baseball all season.

Thoughts?

>Something I found really impressive this weekend was the defensive play.

>Pitching was masterful

>Hitting was great.

IMO best overal weekend performance of the season.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I agree. Granted, Army was not that good but I was very impressed with C of C. They had pitching, team speed and excellent defense. Southern Miss is no patsy and came to the regional with a very good team. Despite what some naysayers here would have us believe, we did not beat up on a bunch of chumps. We just made them look like chumps. Frankly, I'm thinking of leaving TF until the CWS is over. Criticism born of knowlege is one thing but some of these posters here are just plain stupid and it's all getting very tiring. Maybe I'm just too old to tolerate the immaturity. I just don't know. It's like the old saying. "Youth is wasted on the young".

3. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

It was impressive and solid play by LSU. But once again perspective. It wasn't the best competition we played against. Although Southern Miss is a solid team and Charleston did give it a great effort.

I think the level at which we played guarantees us beating A&M in the SR. I will say that much. We shall be able to reevaluate after the A&M Series to know just how we look heading into the CWS. My guess right now is that we have a real solid series against A&M, 2 and out.

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We don't need to put anything into perspective, we were in one of the tougher regionals RPI wise and we beat the teams we had to beat. If we beat aTm I will be proud of the guys and if we win the CWS that will be great also. We can only play who they tell us to play and CoC and S. Miss were good teams.

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

And if you don't think who we beat to win this tourney is impressive just look at who some of the other teams in the country lost too this weekend. ISLSTL I know you are a big Tiger backer so I'm not aiming this at you, just stating that we can be proud of who we beat as I've seen many teams falter this wekend vs worse competiton.

6. islstl

Well I am not saying the competition was that bad, as some others have suggested on this board. It's just that the A&M series will provide a better idea of how we will fare in he CWS after we beat A&M.

7. islstl

And after all the naysayers who wanted to jump ship after we went 2 and out in the SEC tourney, I on the other hand, was pleased with the pitching performance for those 2 games. So I definitely was seeing the glass half full. And it definitely turned out that way this weekend. Confident starting pitchers is definitely a nice thing to have on your side. And right now, we have 3 of them.

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

I also looked at the 2 and out as a positive, since we were only playing for National seeding and it gave the team a week of rest. Nobody, including me, wants LSU to lose...ever. But, losing is part of sports and life and some of the crybabies here need to quit taking a loss as a personal affront. A healthy Blake Gill was the regional MVP but midway thru the season there were posters screaming for Blake's benching and Smoke's head for playing him. Now, we put it all together and suddenly it's "Woody Allen could have coached this team to a regional" and "we didn't beat anybody". Get a clue. It's supposed to be fun.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Skip always had a knack for getting the team to peak at the right time--tournament time. If Smoke has that down, it bodes well for LSU. Disappointing SEC losses don't mean squat when you have a shot at Omaha, and the team is playing its best ball.

10. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Amen. Plus, we got what we all wanted anyway, 2 and out or not- a SR to BR.