Best Backfield...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

Somewhere I read a discussion about whether Auburn, with Brown, Williams, and Campbell, had the best backfield ever in college football. The basic argument was that with 2 top 5 (most likely in the NFL draft) quality backs, few teams, if any, could match them. As I've mentioned before, I happen to have all the NFL draft data from 67 onward. I thought it would be interesting to compare, so I looked up all the teams that had two top 10 backfield picks in either the same year or 1 in each successive year. Once those year(s) were identified, I looked up all backfield positions (within the first 250 picks) and the result is listed in the attached file.

I have no idea if Campbell will be drafted or not and what round if he is. Even without him being drafted, this is a uniquely talented group. However, if I were ranking, I would probably prefer a QB/RB combo over 2 RBs that are not always on the field at the same time.

2. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

How many NCs do thay have. That's the test. :hihi:

3. AUHansel

AUHansel Founding Member

Campbell was SEC offensive player of the year, SEC Championship game MVP, and Sugar Bowl MVP. He will be drafted probably 2-4th round.

4. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

Best ever?

Surely, they jest. I think they're lapped a few times by Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard in the overall quality department, for one. I know they didn't see the field at the same time, but you'd be very hard pressed to do better than Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas at Okie St, too.

5. Indiana Tiger

From a Reb no less:

1957, LSU: Warren Rabb (QB), Jimmy Taylor (FB), Billy Cannon and Johnny Robinson at halfback

Taylor was drafted in the 2nd round (15th overall) in 58
    Cannon was drafted in the 1st round (#1 overall) in 60
    Robinson was drafted in the 1st round (#3 overall) in 60
    Rabb was drafted in the 2nd round (#15 overall) in 60

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

the best backfield ever in college football was herschel walker and whoever the hell was lined up next to him.

7. Indiana Tiger

My choice would be the Tyler Rose

8. cadillacattack

cadillacattack Illegitimi non carborundum est

Listen Indiana..... for starters, get your facts a little more squared-away before you try to stir the drink....it'll taste mush smoother.

The quote you're referring to was the best backfield in CFB in the past fiddy years, not the best ever.

Next, the quote was strictly in the context of the subject of the NFL draft standpoint.

But other than that , your stats are enlightening,but the problem is, they're stats and there's always room for subjective measurements in CFB. For example, Bo Jackson was indeed drafted by the Bucs, you may recall that Bo elected to instead play for the Yankees organization in mock defiance over the Bucs unethical behaviors.

The problem with comparing stats-only is that it doesn't tell the complete picture....but it is certainly a healthy start to a true football thread.

And for that, I commend you. :thumb:

9. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Who was Barry Sanders backup at OSU? I seem to rememeber him being a pretty good one.

10. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Clue #1: One of the biggest losers in the history of organized sports.

Clue #2: Scroll up about five posts...

**FULL DISCLOSURE -- I'm a Fins fan...***