Best Backfield...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Mar 11, 2005.

1. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I swear I read the whole thread before I replied...really.

:dis: :dis:

2. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Hahahaha, sorry, I simply couldn't resist...and I'll take any opportunity to bash Thurman Thomas (or that punkass Jim Kelly or Andre Reed or Darryl Talley or Don Beebe or any of the rest of them) for tormenting me for damn near a decade. :thumb:

3. clair

clair Rockets

I certainly don't think they are the best ever, but we have had some good ones as well!

Cecil and Faulk

Faulk and Mealey i believe?

Vincent, Addai, and Broussard

Not best ever, but not bad certainly! :hihi:

4. MobileBengal

Yeah, we have had a lot of good running backs the last 10 years, really. Dont forget about Toefield, Davis, and Carey, too.

5. NoLimitMD

I'll take Diesel and Faulk as the best ever. There was no requirement for length of period played. And given that Faulk was just all around great, and Diesel (and I'm not overstating this) was the best RB since Bo Jackson, they win easily.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Actually I think Tubby is fairly close to right with the comment he made, which was about 2 RB's and a QB. Their season was one of the best in the past 50 years. The USC backfield of Paul McDonald, Charles White and Marcus Allen was pretty strong. Miami '01: Ken Dorsey, Clinton Portis, Najeh Davenport with Willis McGahee on the bench.

Sanders and Thomas were not on the field at the same time, lucky for the other Big 8/12 teams as their QB was their new coach Gundy and he was pretty good too.

7. Indiana Tiger

Indiana Tiger Founding Member

WTF:

First, the phrase, "Somewhere I read a discussion" should have been a clue that I was recalling this from memory. It wasn't until after I posted it that I found the original source. Don't you think you're making a mountain out of a molehill. All you had to do was to post a correction. Second, all the data I posted was within the last 50 years.
    Okay, this point is beyond my comprehension. You did notice that the only data I posted was NFL DRAFT DATA. So what's your point?
    It's extreme overkill to call this stats; it's raw data...facts. Nothing has been analyzed or interpreted; I left that for you posters to do. The phrase, "if I were ranking, I would probably," should have been a clue that I haven't done it. The phrase, "this is a uniquely talented group," should have been a clue that I have trememdous respect for Brown and Williams.
    Does this mean that the fact that he was drafted #1 overall isn't relevant to the quote that "was strictly in the context of the subject of the NFL draft standpoint." Instead, should I have reported that Bo was drafted in the 7th round the following year?

This is ridiculous, but I guess I shouldn't expect more from someone who doesn't know if he's the cat's ass, an eagle's ass, or just a plain ass.

8. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Here is the link to the article on ESPN.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=maisel_ivan&id=2008666

Here are some excerpts:
    I think it may be one of the best ever in the last 50 years. In the side box, Ivan asks for fans to e-mail him a better backfield if they can think of one. I am interested to see what fans come up with.

Based on the NFL draft, we should both backs in the first round, and the quarterback in the late first, early 2nd round.

You stated that you didn't know Campbell's draft status and when/if he would be drafted. Most draft analysts have him as the 3rd or 4th quarterback taken. I think he'll be the third QB after Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers.

So to have 2 guys in the top 5 and then the 3rd quarterback taken in the draft is quite an accomplishment, whether they are the best ever is up for debate, but definatley in the upper-echelon.

9. NoLimitMD

I'd take Chad Loup, Nicky Savoie, and Booger in the backfield before I agreed with anything Tubby says.

10. MobileBengal

And Frank Gore and Jarrett Payton, right?