Best Backfield...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Indiana Tiger, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Mystikalilusion

Mystikalilusion Founding Member

Wow, good call. Not sure how I missed that.

I'll double or nothing that and say not getting drafted in the 4th round.

2. JKIII

JKIII Founding Member

USC OJ Simpson and Toby Page...OJ is one the the greatest slashers to play the game...slash through defenses of course.:grin:

3. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

You are crazy if you don't think Campbell will get drafted by the 4th round. He COULD slip into the 3rd, but he will probably be taken late 2nd.

This is not just coming from an AU fan. Check out pretty much any site having to do with the draft, and prospects.

I'm tucking this thread away so that we can re-visit it once the draft takes place.

4. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

You forgot Steve Tasker, James Lofton, Bruce Smith, Steve Christie, and Cornelius Bennett.

I swear to you, every one of those players we mentioned minus Beebe and is a possible Hall of Famer...

0-4 in Super Bowls. I blame Marv Levy.

5. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Actually, I don't think this is Auburn's best backfield in the last 50 years. In 83, they had Bo Jackson (one of the best of all time), Lionel "Little Train" James (who played for the Chargers for 5 years), Tommy Agee (who played for the Cowboys for years), and Randy Campbell as the Wishbone QB. That backfield put 500+ rushing yards on a #4 ranked Maryland team. Their draft numbers may not be as high, but until Carnell runs over the latest version of The Boz, I'll stick with this bunch.

GEAUX TIGERS

6. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Thanks a whole helluva lot for reminding me of this post. Just when I had gotten off the ledge.:thumb:

Reed/Thomas/Kelly -- They're the only ones that will get in, IMO.

The only redeeming thing the Bills did in that time period was draft Eddie Fuller (LSU RB.) That's it. And those morons drafted him to sit behind Thomas. Did I mention I hate the Bills?

And I agree on Marv Levy. I keep hoping Belichick will resign and they'll hire Levy.

7. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

So who wants my address to send the check? :wink:
    just kidding...although Campbell was taken way before the 4th round!

This helps our case about whether this is the best backfield in the last 50 years or not.

This was the first time in the history of the modern draft that 2 RB's and a QB from the same team were all taken in the first round. Thats pretty good evidence that if it isnt the best ever, it is certainly up there among them.

Now that the 1st round of the draft is over...thoughts? comments?

8. danky

danky Founding Member

lol. Looks like some people are going to be embarassed. That why I usually dont run my mouth off and let my smack write checks that I cannot ca$h.

Since they're now former AU players, I can objectively say that they might have been one of the top 5 backfields in the last half century.

:geauxtige

9. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Greatness of a backfield cant be measured by where the people are drafted. How do you factor a running style qb? also, many running backs who dominate in college dont exactly translate into a dominate qb on the pro level.

10. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

man, you just won $3K. ;)