Best boiled crawfish in south LA.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by MikebTiger, Feb 25, 2005.

1. CajinTigah

CajinTigah Founding Member

Man!!! Ya'll aint, ya'll just aint right!! I'm in exile in Tn and ya'll are gonna talk about crawfish! Just aint right! :cuss:

2. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I agree with Mike. 1921 has the best crawfish of any restaurant I've been too. I prefer the way I do 'em anyday.

Since we are on the subject... Last Friday I caught a a massive crawfish craving, so I called a podnuh and told him to go get a few sacks, that I was driving home. I told the boss I was taking off a little early and I made the 6 and a half hour drive from Atlanta to Baton Rouge. I got in about 1030. We went to the Chimes and then out on the sweet Baton Rouge town. We woke up at 7 drove down to Houma to pick up our crawfish, drove back to BR and bolied before the basketball game. Then as a bonus I got to see a basketball game and a baseball game. Great weekend, now if I could only get some crawfish this weekend.

3. Geauxld Member

Geauxld Member Founding Member

I never heard of this bizarre ice chest seasoning method in my life.
    it just doesn't make sense, the seasoning won't have time to get in there as much.

I've heard awesome things about Hawks in Eunice.

If you're brewing a home batch of crawfish try adding onions, garlic, corn and mushrooms.

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Man, isn't that the truth!?!?!?! :thumb:

Any recommendations in Houston?? This thread's got me in the mood for a couple or 8 pounds of 'em!

5. Fightin4LSU

Fightin4LSU Founding Member

That Ice chest thing sounds wierd, I don't think I care to try it. I live in Houma and have never heard of 1921's? Guess i'll have to take a ride down Barrow St sometime soon!
    My brother in law can boil crawfish, of course he lives in Bayou Pigeon and catches them for a living.
    I just got a brand new pot for Christmas, I'd say it's time to put it to use!

6. bigbully

bigbully Founding Member

I had never heard about it until about a month ago...a friend from Lafayette told me about it. I was like 'what ya'll are too cheap to buy some Swampfire (my favorite) or Zatarains?' :rofl: :rofl:

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if not for those cheap coonasses then we would never have learned of Gumbo. Let them experiment! :hihi: :hihi: :thumb: :thumb:

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Myron's in Arnaudville.

9. friday

friday Founding Member

this "old bay" method of preparing crabs started in the cheasepeake/baltimore area and is the preferred way to prepare seafood in the NE. as a native new orleanian living in NYC, I can honestly say, I fricken hate it! they steam the crabs, put them on the table and everyone gets a box of old bay to season the crabs. it's crunchy and just not the right way to do it. I try to tell these people zatarans crab burl is where it's at but they like their crunchy old bay.

10. bubbafong

bubbafong Founding Member

Time to share my sad, sad story. I was born and raised in Baton Rouge to a woman who's allergic to shellfish, so we never got it much growing up. So I'm still trying to make up for lost time.

Tony's on Plank is very good. Probably not as good as some of these hole in the wall little places in other towns y'all are talking about, but they are always flavored well and very consistent. I don't mind them a little spicier, but they're still good. And their boudin balls are awesome. I had some one time last season from a place called The Boiling Pot on Bourbank, and they were good that time, but I can't swear that they're good every time. There's Wayne Stabilers (sp?) on Perkins that is okay (although not as good as Tony's), and you might catch some football players working in there in the summer. There's a place over by Industriplex off of Siegen that I went to one time last year to pick some up in a last minute desperation scenario, and they were NOT good. Plain funky actually.

The best I've ever had are still the ones my ex-girlfriend's dad used to make. His were incredible.