Best boiled crawfish in south LA.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by MikebTiger, Feb 25, 2005.

1. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I know that Boutin's crawfish are good awful. My roommate and I went for the all you cat special once. They dont even let the crawfish soak. I'm pretty sure they dont even purge them.

2. DaNutria

DaNutria Founding Member

Hey No Limit, I also live in Pearland and trust me there is not ANY good crawfish around here. The only decent (that is an overstatement) crawfish is Ragin Cajuns on Richmond right inside the loop. Do not go to Zydecos on 518 for crawfish. They season their crawfish on the outside (like just about everyone else in Houston) and they also soak the crawfish in butter after they are boiled. You would think being so close to LA they would know how to cook here.

The good news is there are plenty of seafood shops in Alvin and Clearlake that sell live crawfish and fresh shrimp. So you can boil your own. That is what I usually do.

Oh well! I am seriously thinking about opening my own crawfish catering business here or a seafood restaurant. It would be like taking candy from a baby!

3. TigerFan23

TigerFan23 USMC Tiger

Man this isn't fair. I'm stuck here in Virginia (where it snowed like 7 inches yesterday...yeah, that white stuff that falls from the sky when its cold) and all I can think about is cold beer and crawfish. But I can't drink cold beer due to medicine I'm taking and I can't eat crawfish because, well, I'm stuck in Virginia. Life isn't fair. The closest thing I have to home food is the Jambalaya MRE, which isn't exactly Zatarain's. I did have crawfish when I was home last weekend, but it wasn't enough! I can't wait until I'm in Pensacola......a few more months. Than a few more months, then crawfish season. Until then, I can only dream. :dis:

4. NoLimitMD

NoLimitMD Founding Member

Argh, time to buy a pot! If you open a restaurant, lemme know. I'll be there yesterday!

And butter on crawfish!? WTF WTF WTF is THAT? :po: :angryfire I might go by there just to punch somebody in the head for ruining perfectly good crawfish.

5. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

sounds like something starting in The Grove at a so-called tailgate party.

6. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

Just walked in......

I boiled a couple sacks tonight. The best crawfish are the one's you boil yourself(if you know what you're doing).

good size for feb.....

7. lsujay

lsujay Founding Member

Black's in Abbeville has got to be some of the best crawfish along with Hawk's...

If you're boiling the crawfish at home, you've got to use a bag of ice with each pot of crawfish... Bring the water to a boil, put the crawfish in and bring it to a boil again... Let it boil for 5 minutes, turn off the fire and throw the bag of ice in and let the crawfish sit in the warm water for 15 to 20 minutes... (the ice stops the cooking process and makes the crawfish suck up the seasoning)... the crawfish are easier to peel and they taste great... If you don't believe me, try it and you'll love it.

I have plans to boil a couple sacks tomorrow....

8. Dirt Dog

Dirt Dog Founding Member

In Baton Rouge, Tony's has good crawfish and the boudin balls are great. On Plank Rd, right across from Redemptorist H.S.

Another good place is LA Broilers on O'Neal. Very spicy.

Think I might geaux get some today, getting hungry...
    [​IMG]

9. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

Let me know also. I live in Seabrook. The best Cajun food that I've had in the Houston area is a place that goes by the name of "Abe's Meat Market" and "Abe's of Lake Charles". It is on Clear Lake City Blvd. near Highway 3. I haven't had boiled crawfish there, but everything else that I have had there is great. Muffalattas (sp?) and shrimp creole are wonderful.

10. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

Hawk's is great, but get there early. Also, Fezzo's in Crowley has great crawfish.