Best boiled crawfish in south LA.

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by MikebTiger, Feb 25, 2005.

1. E-Man

E-Man Freshman

Instead of a bag of ice try putting corn in a boiling bag (mesh laundry bag) and put it in at soaking time has the same affect and the corn taste wonderful.

2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

There is a place near Seabrook in League City called Crawdaddy's. I had some there a couple of years ago and they were pretty good and very large but at $7.50 a pound - OUCH!

3. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

I've been there. I didn't get the crawfish, I got gumbo. I was disappointed. It is also hard to get good gumbo and boudin here in Houston. The best I've had is Pe-Te's on Highway 3 near Ellington Field.

4. seabrookcajun

seabrookcajun Founding Member

I forgot to mention a restaurant in my hometown of Mermentau named "C'est Bon". People often travel from Lafayette and Lake Charles to eat crawfish there.

5. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

To all those "out of town Tigers" I feels yo pain. I've been livin in the metroplex since 93 BUT I always finds dem "bugs". I used to cook dem "bugs" fo an almos livin with a German Coonass what name is Fenstermaker waaaayyyyyyyyy back in 74-78 afo dem "pond" raised babies camed along. I can amember down in the "real" Coonass country (I'm standing up, wiff my hand acrost my heart) when dat flood waters goes back into da woods, all dem "real" Coonasses, (I'm standing up again), used run out on da road with burlap sacks scooping up da REAL great ones!

To those that can't find them......................many of the large dealers in LA. now can SHIP you "dads" overnight and they are fine and ready to go, I know guys at Vance AFB in Enid Ok when I flew T-38's up there that had a boil every year and had 200LBs brought in, that is a TON for Okies.

Southlake Texas now has Crawfish City, I SUPPORT this LSU fan many times a year and GLADLY pay his price!

As for cooking technique, the "new" technique of "steaming" and sprinkling the spice on in the "chest" is largely due to cost of cooking, for ME, I find EVERYTHING red and ANYTHING new from Zatarains and put it in. Then I looks to the south and sees what my almos Coonass (I'm once again standing) brothers are ADDING this year (pork chops, brauts, tenderloins, gators, eagles, etc etc) and try it out.
    I am a big believer in all the spices you can find, boil 5 minutes, soak for 15-20 (taste test), add the sweetest corn you can find when you turn the "dads" off, and 1/2 cups of dat Coonass cooking oil to makes dem SQUIRT right out de shirt!

I miss all you LA Tigers way up in the north where I live.:crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :crystal: :thumb:

6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

Seabrooke................you email me for gumbo recipe, my "redneck" wants to be cajun bride (from Denham Springs) makes dat gumbo so good you will "rub" it all over you self before you eat it! I went into a Pappadeaux's in Houston and asked for Filet with my gumbo and they said "What is that". I ate at another Pappadeaux's in Fort Worth, boiled crawfish, seasoned like tacos, one guess as to the nationality of the "cooks".

[email protected]:champs: :champs: :champs: :champs:

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I went to a Pappadeaux's in Houston one time and got the crab cakes. They were served with salsa.

8. tygertail

tygertail Founding Member

This is my vote. It is in Branch, LA. Good Luck finding it.

9. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

if I wanted to have some crawfish shipped in to PHX where is the best place to look....I have looked at cajun grocer.....

10. jimbeaux

jimbeaux "Have a Great Day"

hey 'supa', 6 1/2 hours to BR from Atlanta...u must live on the south side, drove 95 and crossed into EBR Parish at 10:30...the quickest i've ever made it was 7 1/2....what's ur secret?