Best Boudin & Cracklins

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by ramah, Aug 1, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Ray's is 1/4 mile west of the 190 & I-49 intersection in Opelousas ... about 20 minutes north of the I-10 Lafayette exit (take the I-49 exit from I-10).

I suggest you stop in Sunset along the way at Sunset Specialty meats and try theirs as well for a good comparison, Cankton & Eunice too ... if you have the time ...

After my last stop at Ray's, I haul azz down 190 to BR with the 50 qt ice chests (4-6) fully loaded, the beer ice cold and a highlight CD of the 2003 LSU games blaring ... Life is good

2. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

My old roommates' parents lived in Jennings. They used to bring us Boudin from the Boudin King all the time. To this day - THE BEST BOUDIN I'VE EVER TASTED.

Down here in N.O., I've tried several of the "home made" deli boudins. None have impressed me. For our tailgating, we've tried everything we could find in and around N.O. Unfortunately, we just don't get the good boudin that ya'll get over in Acadiana.

The best boudin we've found around here for grillin is the Richards. Mandas SUCKS. I've noticed recently in the store I regularly pick up Richards that they've come out with a few new flavors. We're going to give them a try at the tailgates and I'll post my thoughts.

3. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Grilled boudin ... LOL ... are you nuts ... better use foil.

Could get messy ... real quick ... first time that hog gut sticks to the grill.

4. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

well you must have been drinking when you posted this. Jerry Lees is not open damn near round the clock. As a matter of fact if you try and go there past 5pm you won't find em open. PLUS the boudin blows away any and all that you listed. I have tried boudin from every place listed i this thread and imo Jerry Lees kicks everyones ass. I did a boudin review on anothe boars that took me to all the places listed above plus a few others.. But boudin is like alot of things, its greatness is defined by the one consuming it, everyone likes something different.

The only one i have found that even comes close to Jerry Lee's is Ronnies on Fla. Blvd, near sharp rd in BR. They have a smoked boudin that ROCKS!!

as for cracklins, Ronnies in BR beats all others HANDS DOWN!!!

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Why don't you just have them labeled as beef cracklins? Or even better label them as camel cracklins. :grin: :D

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I ate some Jerry Lee's boudin yesterday for the first time. It was real good but I wouldn't say its the best I ever had.

7. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Poche's sucks. Period. I live 4 miles from there and I drive 10 miles to Don's Specialty Meats right off I-49 at the exit just past the racetrack. Best Stop is OK, but Don's Boudin beats em easily.

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

:thumb: :thumb:

Two thumbs up ... fatty ... I love Jerry Lee's also ... and I must agree with you 2000% ... Jerry Lee's boudin kicks everyone's azz ... too well ... I highly recommend it for people suffering from irregularity ... one of the most explosive bowel movements I've ever had in my life came after eating Jerry Lee's boudin one day ... it's the grease left in as well as the oil used in steaming it ... the bastids don't take any of the grease out ... it even sweats thru the casing bigtime, LOL ... I'll still eat the **** ... who wants to have to drive past BR all the way to Opelousas every time ... but I've learned to "blot" a lot of the grease off and keep my colon happy. :hihi:

9. sparkafatty

sparkafatty Founding Member

please keep your ass play fantasies off this board. the only grease at jerry lees came from your piece o **** pinto leaking oil in the parking lot.

10. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Do we need a Good Eats Smack Forum? :D :D