Best British Rock Bands / Best American Rock Bands

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by red55, Feb 15, 2005.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Hey, I happen to like Matchbox 20. Is there something wrong with that?

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Good memory Pastimer. I saw 75% of that list when we were in school from '73-'77. Jethro Tull also played. The Beach Boys played the LSU Assembly Center, too (it wasn't renamed the PMAC until Pistol Pete died) and they had an unknown opening act-- a piano player named Billy Joel that the crowd brought back for two encores.

Even better, I also saw Jackson Browne in the LSU Union Theatre in '71 or '72 when I was still in high school. He was touring with an opening act from his record label. Jackson Brown actually did his set first and told the crowd he just couldn't play after this new band. It was The Doobie Brothers about 6 months before "Listen to the Music" hit the air and they started headlining big arenas. We were very impressed. And pretty stoned, too. Pot was $10 an ounce and we thought it was expensive.

3. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Nothin wrong with it...but a masterpiece??

That's like saying that Mo Vaugn should be in the Hall of Fame...

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I saw The Beach Boys at the Assembly Center in 1981, Red...that show included a rare on-stage appearance by Brian Wilson for a few songs. The opening act that night was Randy Meisner, formerly bass player for The Eagles.

I can also remember seeing the late, great John Denver there a couple of times - what a fantastic live performer he was. He'd play for 3 hrs. straight - send his band offstage to take a break while he kept on playing.

I can also remember seeing Willie Nelson with Delbert McClinton as his opener, and REO Speedwagon w/ Survivor as the opener, both in 1982.

5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Go back and reread the original post...I said it was THEIR masterpiece.
    In short, THEIR best work.

6. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

Ummmm......no...

Please don't take offense to this but I think Robb Thomas is one of the worst acts I've ever seen. I hate Matchbox 20 and absolutely despise that single he had with Santana that got too much radio airplay.

7. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

But of course.

While I have not heard the album, I have one of the singles that Andrew Wood has on the "Singles" movie soundtrack and was not impressed with his singing ability. May he RIP...

Were it not for his death though I doubt we'd be blessed with the music from PJ and Soundgarden, not to mention countless side projects like TOTD, MS, and Green River.

8. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

Whoa, chill out..just havin some fun with what I thought you said.

Either way, no offense, but I could never call anything those guys made "incredible." Everyone has their tastes, I guess..

9. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

I saw the Doobs at about the same time - at a converted bowling alley in Mobile.

The Pop Entertainment Committee at LSU really did a great job of bringing in the big names to the Assembly Center. Forgot about Jethro Tull and the Beach Boys - wish I had gone. Perhaps the most interesting act pairing during that era was when Bob Hope and the Harlem Globetrotters put on a performance at the Assembly Center. Some of the guys from my fraternity smoked a couple of those funny cigarettes you are referring to and went to the show. Came back in hysterics. I didn't know Bob Hope was so funny. ;)

10. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Fine. That's YOUR opinion. I happen to like them.