Best Burger

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

2. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

In North Carolina, the classic burger has mustard (regular, plain ol yelloe), chili, and slaw. I have tried a zillion combinations, but always go back to what I call a Carolina Burger.

In Monterey California while going to grad school, we ate at a place, whose tag line was "Home of the 5 napkin burger." Thought that was cool. Don't even remember the joint's name!

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

They must put cole slaw on everything. One time in North Carolina in a Bar B Q place they put slaw on my pulled pork sandwich. At another place they put slaw on my chili dog

4. KyleK

KyleK Who, me? Staff Member

Slaw on pulled pork is pretty common. I had a booth for 18 months for my girls to make some cash on Saturday mornings at the Mandeville Trailhead. It's sort of a Farmers Market, but community market is a better description. Pulled pork was one of the things we would do. Slaw was a pretty common condiment.

5. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

A lot of BarBQ places offer cole slaw as an optional side dish but I had never seen it put directly on a sandwich before. I like slaw but I don't care for it on a sandwich or a chili dog.

6. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Hey, Bengal B, your avatar reminds me of the mascot of UNC School of the Arts, the Fighting Pickles (OBTW, they have no teams, but win some award each year for the cheesy mascot)!

[​IMG]

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Avatar is the Delta State Fighting Okra mascot. My avatar before that was the UC Santa Cruz CC Fighting Banana Slugs
    upload_2014-7-3_15-51-23.jpeg upload_2014-7-3_15-51-23.jpeg c

Here is the Evergreen State Geoduck mascot

[​IMG]

And then there is the mascot for the Rhode Island School of Design Nads. Fans cheer Go Nads at their hockey games

[​IMG]

8. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

There is a Mooyah across the street from my neighborhood. I enjoy their burgers. I usually get the "ice burger," which replaces the bun with iceberg lettuce.

9. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Then you have never been to the Carolina's. In the east, they BBQ pig, rarely beef. They use a thin vinegary sauce instead of the thick, peppery Texas sauces or the sweet Kansas city sauces. And if you don't want coleslaw on your sandwich, you must say "hold the coleslaw!".

HalloweenRun likes this.
  10. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Never heard of that one. It seems better than KFC who makes a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich with two slabs of boneless fried chicken breasts for bread. I do get tired of white bread though, but not many places offer a whole wheat bun.

A former girlfriend of mine referred to a hamburger as a "heart attack between two slices of diabetes".