Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Apr 1, 2004.
No no no Raul's right next to the Chimes.
Who remembers Round The Corner on Highland next to the Varsity? They had the old time phones at each booth for you to order from. They had great burgers, including a lot of specialty ones...Jalapeno Burger, Pizza Burger, Chili Burger, etc. I hated it when they shut that place down.
I used to stop at Burger Delite every now and then, and I had forgotten about it.....they used to have good breakfast type Bacon, Egg, & Cheese on toast....
Lee's in Metairie is awesome - it's on top of Mrs. Gus and I's regular list for Saturday lunch when we are working around the house and it's not football season.
Believe it or not J Alexander's has a good burger......
Best burgers I've had in the state:
1. Griff's Hamburgers in Ruston. If you are ever in Ruston, go to Griff's and get the Monster Meal with a large chocolate shake. It is the most unhealthy thing you will ever eat, but it's so dang good.
2. Great American Steak n' Gyro in Monroe. Their specialty is gyros and pitas, but they make a flame-grilled bacon cheeseburger that will blow you away. Best to also have it with chili-cheese fries. And you can get all kinds of things on your burger. Think Subway with burgers.
3. Flamer's in the Mall of Louisiana. Prices are a little steep, but you get what you pay for. You can't beat a huge, flame-broiled burger with chili-cheese and bacon fries anywhere.
4. Whataburger. The triple cheese with bacon is a classic, and the fries in the box is a unique touch that I like. Used to have to drive all the way to Shreveport or Lake Charles for this but they are now in Baton Rouge.
5. Chili's. The Bigmouth Burger is not the biggest or the best I've ever had, but it's definitely on the list. I especially like the Bacon Bigmouth and the BBQ Ranch Bigmouth.
6. Copeland's. I would've never found out about this except for the one time my girlfriend, who insisted on going to Copeland's but then "wasn't in the mood for seafood," ordered this. I thought she was nuts, until they brought the thing out. It was MASSIVE, and it came on a croissant. She couldn't finish it so I did. I was pleasantly surprised that it's taste was as impressive as it's size.
7. Checker's/Rally's. The drive-in hamburger stand with The Big Bufort and the Champ Burger. If that doesn't just scream out everything that's great about America I don't know what does. And they taste good too.
8. Dairy Queen. They're better known for their "Cool Treats," but the "Hot Eats" ain't bad either. While McDonald's and Burger King quality varies from franchise to franchise, I have NEVER been disappointed by a DQ Ultimate Burger anywhere; they are always delish. The Ultimate has thousand island dressing on it, a unique touch. It's a shame that Dairy Queen is gradually pulling out of Louisiana. I love everything about that place, and I kid you not, I cried as a kid when the DQ in my hometown went under.
9. A&W Root Beer Stand in Ruston. Across town from Griff's. While they are primarily known for root beer floats, the burgers are great too. Nothing like a washing down a double cheeseburger and some seasoned fries with an ol' fashioned root beer float.
10. Sonic. The Super Sonic Cheeseburger and the Bacon Cheddar Toaster are common staples in my fast food diet. Sonic has got to be on anybody's Top Ten list.
Distant burger chains I wish would come to Louisiana one day: Steak-n-Shake, predominantly in Georgia and the Carolinas, In-n-Out Burger, the Sonic of the West Coast, and Johnny Rocket's, which is primarily East Coast. All great places.
Most over-rated burger places:
1. Wendy's. The quality at most Wendys' I've been to has gone down noticeably in recent years. I blame it on Dave Thomas' death. It'll never be the same without you Dave.
2. McDonald's. Yes, they started it all, and for that we should be grateful. But there is nothing special about a Big Mac or Quarter-Pounder anymore. I only eat at Mickey D's if I have absolutely no other choice, and I can't even say that their fries are #1 anymore (Wendy's or DQ takes that honor in my mind). Plus, McDonald's is so generic and corporate and all-dominating now, they have come to be viewed, not as the model Poppa's burger stand should aspire to, but as "the Evil Empire" of speedy food service.
3. Krystal Burger. I have NEVER been impressed with Krystal Burger. You give me a burger the size of a muffin? PLEASE! Bigger is better. It doesn't even taste that good.
4. Hardee's. Ever eaten at a Hardee's? Don't waste your time. And if you love mayo and hate mustard, this definitely ain't your place.
5. Jack 'n the Box. I eat there all the time. They would be great if they just did one simple thing; put pickles on the Bacon Ultimate Cheeseburger. McDonald's puts pickles on the Quarter Pounder Jack; are you taking notes? Also, all they've got that I like is the BUC; I have been uimpressed with anything else on the menu.
It has never occured to me to order a burger at Copelands
I like them but all the Checker's and Rally's in Baton Rouge are out of business
I love Dairy Queen burgers. Unfortunately there are no Dairy Queens in Baton Rouge.
You don't order just one Krystal Burger. You order a half dozen or more. The nearest Krystal Burger is in Hammond or they would be a staple in my diet.
The worst of the worst in fast food burgers. I never eat Jack n the Box. I do like their TV commercials though. IF they brought the same quality to their burgers as they do to their advertising they might actually be edible.
best thread ever.
You're only saying that because I mentioned Fancy Feast
Oh, I also forgot to mention one that you probably wouldn't think of.
Ruby Tuesday's in Baton Rouge off of College has really good burgers. REALLY GOOD. It'd been almost a year since I've had one but they were always fresh and cooked perfectly.
I lived in Tulsa for 7 years. They have three Backyard Burgers in Tulsa/BA area. 91st and Memorial is where I used to go. If you're ever in the neighborhood, you should stop by for some good burgers.
My favorite "fast food" burger is the Lot-o-Burger from Frostop. And, in particular, the Frostop on Claiborne right across the street from the Tulane Married Student's Dorm.
Frostop also has the BEST chocolate shakes around.
They also have those waffle fries that I REALLY like.
You can't go wrong with a Lot-O-Burger, Waffle Fries and a Chocolate shake from the Claiborne Frostop!!!