Best Burger

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Apr 1, 2004.

1. BRETT

BRETT LSU FAN Staff Member

You must have been gone quite a while MiketheTiger69. That area has been bad for years. Funny you mentione Bellues because I was just there yesterday. Smoked pork chops with dressing and white beans.

2. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

The Alibi Bar, on the other side of the French Quarter (corner of Iberville and Bourbon) from Port O Call has a burger and baked potato that is easily the equal if not better than Port O Call. Most people who spend any time in the
    FQ will tell you the same thing.

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

Yeah, Brett. I moved from BR in 1977. I went to work in NO for an outfit based out of OKC. Lived there for about 6 months out in East NO by the Michoud plant and then transferred up here in May of 78. They been trying to make an Okie out me ever since but I've successfully coonassisized more of them, thank goodness.

4. conradj

conradj Founding Member

Judice Inn = Best Burger IMO also

1 person likes this.
  5. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I remember those times too. Baton Rouge was a lot smaller town then. Places
    like Sherwood Forest were considered "the sticks".

6. Pastimer

Pastimer Founding Member

Oh, my ... the burgers at the old Brass Rail, and their home cut fries. I NEVER wanted to look in and see what that kitchen looked like, but that was a great hamburger!

Glad to hear that there are still Frostops operating. I used to love to get a Lotta-burger when I was a kid in the 60s.

The best burger I ever had when I lived in New Orleans was at a place out on Veterans called the Triple Play. It was a bar, and a pretty rough one at that. But they had an enormous char-grilled cheeseburger and fries that was worth the danger of going in there. I wonder if the place is still there.

No one has mentioned Bud's Broiler in New Orleans. The burgers are small, but good.

As always, I have to rant against Virginia food. A few years back in the Roanoke city magazine they ran a "best of..." issue where the readers voted on their favorite this and thats. The top vote getter for best burger in the Roanoke area was (drum roll) WENDY'S! At least it wasn't McDonald's.

Bengal B and diamondheadtiger like this.
  7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

Kellers at NWHWY and Abrahms is greatness too. very good burgers and tots.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The Magoo Burgers at Magoos on Chimes Street were pretty good if you could ignore the fact that a roach might crawl across it before you ate it.

9. LSUDeek

LSUDeek All That She Wants...

That's because the EBRP city limits end on old hammond hwy by millerville. Sherwood forest is at the bare edge of that.

NBR has been crap for the entire time I've been alive. I grew up in the Monticello subdivision (greenwell springs @ north sherwood forest area) and that is now a ghetto as well. I spent 1990-2003 in the Shenandoah area and now I live on campus in the married student housing.

10. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

camellia grill in new orleans has great burgers and breakfasts too.