Best Burger

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Bengal B, Apr 1, 2004.

1. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

I used to fish in the lakes in White Oak Landing before it was fully developed
    (mid-to-late 80's). Always had pretty good luck there, too, as some of the lakes were fed by spillover from the Amite.

2. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

That's too bad. I remember that right across the street from the apartments I lived in was a big Vietnamese housing project. Never had any trouble from any of them but they were like ants on an antpile. And there was a great Chinese restaurant on Chef's Hwy. out there.

3. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

When I was in elementary (Howell Park) and jr. hi, (BRJHS), we lived out where Greenwell Sprgs. Rd and Airline intersect. Was just a regular intersection with a red light and several service stations there. We lived in a house next to Clay tile where my dad worked. I used to mow that yard with a push mower for $3.00. Old man Cefalu, the owner, was tighter than a drum. Used to bitch every time he paid me. I had that yard plus ours which was about an acre and a half. Mowed something every damn day! There is an Exxon station there now. That whole area used to be woods. I remember the Belmont used to be THE place for everybody to stay at. All the visiting teams that came to play at LSU used to stay there.

My grandmother used to live at 19th and La. Ave. I would ride my bicycle from Greenwell Springs Rd. to there and back at least once a week in the summer. I go home and pass by there and not much has changed in that part of town. MacArthur's and Griffons has closed. We lived right there on 19th and Gov't. for about 20 years.

Brett, maybe you should put these types of posts on another thread titled "Reminiscing".

4. Coonie

Coonie Founding Member

Well enjoy it while it's still contained in North BR. It's only a matter of time before the entire city gets that way. Want proof? Travel down I-10 to a city named New Orleans and take a look around. That's why I moved (away from family and friends) and will never live there again.

Bon Marche ruined; Cortana next! (Go there and count how many vacant stores there are...)

5. Coonie

Coonie Founding Member

Not bad, despite their 2 failed attempts in BR.

6. Uncle Gus

Uncle Gus Founding Member

for the record two of the most New Orleans' of phrases can be heard from one of the girls who work the order counter there.....

"what you having BABY?" & " num'ba fo-ty five pickup please"

1 person likes this.
  7. LSUdude

LSUdude Founding Member

Got to go with Riverside Patty here in Baton Rouge. Only problem is after I eat one I can't move for a couple of hours. I think it takes me 3 days to digest that hoss.

Outside BR, nothing compares to Port o Call. Brewbachers is the worst. I used to work at an Albertsons years ago and the manager of the Brewbachers would come in and buy all the really cheap ground meat that was leftover. We're talking about the worst scraps of meat ground up.....and that is what they use to make their burgers. I can feel my arteries clogging up just driving past a Brewbachers.

1 person likes this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

When I was a kid I used to hunt doves and woodcocks on the vacant land on Gardere Lane between Highland Road and Hwy 30. Now it has been a ghetto for a number of years.

9. Gorilla

Gorilla Founding Member

My two cents:

Riverside Patty (BR competition over). Repeating the sentiments of many, you can't touch Port 'O Call. There's a reason there's virtually nothing else on the menu. (Pizza too, I think?)

1 person likes this.
  10. iluvdatiger

iluvdatiger Founding Member

Ok Brewbacher's burger is good
    Back yard burger is good
    I like the Jr burger from sonic-and their cheesesticks
    George's is good
    Port of Call in N.O. is THE BEST
    whataburger is ok
    I saw that cheeseburger,cheesburger place by target and I also plan to try one soon

One time in Memphis I had a burger at a restaurant that was in the hotel and it was more Fabulous that the port of call burger. wish i could remember where it was.