Best Fried Seafood?

Discussion in 'Good Eats' started by Go!Hogs!, Apr 28, 2011.

1. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

red, yes, prolly spam. but what the hell is "fired catfish"?

2. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I've heard about that place and pass it regularly, but never think to stop. I'll have to try it one day. Without dwelling on the free speech forum discussions can you make a recommendation of what they do best?

3. Geezer Squid

Geezer Squid Freshman

Not spam. I'm just a customer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Well, I don't go there very often, its a long way from campus for lunch. But the times I have been there it was very good. Better-than-average plate lunches.

5. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Since moving to Eastern NC and eating a ton of fried seafood, I have learned that a huge factor in quality is how often the kitchen changes the grease. It does not take too many batches for it to get the seafood taste off.

I am at the point now where I can tell, first bite, if the grease is fresh or has been there. Don't yet know how often is often enough, but I can sure tell when it is past the point of where it should have been changed.

I wonder if the "best" places change grease more frequently than others.

Geaux tigers

hwr

6. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Fresh grease, fresh seafood, not over or under cooking it. A lot of things go into making really good seafood, but it only takes one bad thing to throw it all off. I do bet that a lot of places trying to save money would have much better quality if they changed grease more often.

7. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The best places also watch the temperature of the grease and fish never goes in if it is too hot or too cool. You can't just dump it in the basket and hit a timer.

8. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

2 biggest mistakes when people cook seafood:

1) overcooking it. you almost cannot undercook. almost.

2) grease too cold. It will soak up cold grease like a sponge. Make sure its at ideal temperature when dropping it in. turn up the fire once you are adding because the temperature will drop and adjust.

I know this because i grew up in a house where my mother overcooked everything and still does. that includes steaks, pork chops, ribs, sausage, roast, turkey, any and all seafood.

If you were like me and still dont know what properly cooked food tastes like, give it a shot. its like eating an entirely different food.

9. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

my mom didnt overcook food, but i know people who do and it absolutely kills the taste. even veggies. my mil overcooks veggies till you cant even tell what they were originally. i might as well pop open a jar of baby food.

10. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Overcooking is a big cooking sin.