Best hard Rock/metal albums of all time

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by LaSalleAve, Nov 30, 2017.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Did you know that stupid Mr roboto song ended styx. Kinda similar shitty song.

Bengal B and shane0911 like this.
  2. tirk

You know the dr Davis Dr j Hamilton opening to eyes of a stranger I think it is. You know how many times I've heard that sound clip on Tv shows and commercials over the years. Is that some standard soundbite or some shit. Clearly they borrowed it and doubtful they made it like you assume after listening to it a million times.

Good call on this album. It was a major change in perception of music for me.

shane0911 likes this.
  3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

So sound bite I’ve heard it a million times too. It’s sort of like a Wilhelm scream. The same scream is used in many different movies and forms of entertainment.

4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Geoff Tate no longer with the band. That kills it for me

5. tirk

New singer prolly sounds better than a 60 yr old Geoff Tate anyhow.

It's probably the ex live pollack.

shane0911 likes this.
  6. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Metallica was my favorite band in middle school and high school. Ride The Lightening, Master of Puppets, Justice for All were all great albums. Their bootlegs, Garage Days, garage Days Revisited, Garage Days Re-Re-Visted, etc. Metal Up your Ass, One... all great albums.
    Iron maiden was another favorite of mine. Live After Death, Seventh Son, Number of the Beast were all great albums as well.

But I listened to a lot of different genres. I like anything CCR, Floyd, Zepplin, and most of the hair bands. Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Kiss, Aerosmith, etc.

MikeInLa likes this.
  7. tirk

Those were 3 really good albums. I didn't buy into Metallica initially until I gave ride the lightning a chance.

GregLSU likes this.
  8. BAY0U BENGAL

BAY0U BENGAL I'm a Chinese Bandit

If I had listened to the black album first, or if those had been the first songs I’d ever heard, I probably wouldn’t be as huge of a fan as I am

9. MikeInLa

MikeInLa Founding Member

I am not sure how I missed this thread here, so I'm catching up. Back in the mid to late 90's, I ran a couple of forums on ezboards that were on the subject of metal music. I also managed the websites for Dokken and XYZ (a couple of "hair" bands that were popular back in the 80's). I'm sure most of you have heard of Dokken. I had many conversations with Don Dokken (Dokken singer and namesake) and Jeff Pilson (Dokken bass player) on the phone. Those guys loved The Doors, Led Zeppelin, and quite a few others. I've seen a lot of threads over the years basically asking about "all time" favorite albums, bands, songs, etc... I've always found it very difficult to answer questions like this because I love so many. Honestly, I don't really see Led Zeppelin as a "hard rock" band. Yes, they're definitely one of the roots for hard rock and metal. But that, to me anyway, is all "Classic Rock". Pretty much all those bands that play on 98.1 from the 60's and 70's I consider Classic Rock, and the root of what we consider hard rock and metal today. And every band member I've talked to over the years always mentions those bands.

Sorry, guess I went a bit off topic there LOL.
    Anyway, your question is really 2 questions in one for me because I find that "Hard Rock" and "Metal" are quite different. Hard Rock is, in my opinion, bands that were labelled "Hair" bands (or Hair Metal). Bands like Dokken, Whitesnake, or even New Orleans' very own Zebra (which by the way really walks a fine line between classic rock and hard rock). Metal, on the other hand, are a bit heavier. Bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, etc...

Best Hard Rock album of all time for me: Dokken - Tooth And Nail (1984) - simply one of the most underrated bands from the time, with one of the best guitarists to grace the scene. Excellent harmonies, riffs, and solos. All of the albums before the band split are good from beginning to end, no filler (ok except for some of the slow songs).
    Runner up: Def Leppard - Pyromania (1983) - as an Iron Maiden fan early on, I was surprised when Def Leppard came out. I sought out their previous albums; also very good - On Through The Night, and High and Dry.

Best Metal album of all time for me: Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast (1982) - Hands down my favorite album of any genre of all time. I can listen to it beginning to end.
    Runner up: Metallica - Master of Puppets (1986) - when the cassette came out, I had to repurchase it multiple times because I wore it out. Love this album.

Sorry for the long post LOL. I like this topic :)

GiantDuckFan and tirk like this.
  10. GregLSU

GregLSU LSUFANS.com

Nirvana Nevermind was a great album as well. One of the best to come out in the 90's imo.