Best High School Player you have ever seen

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Gulf Coast Tige, Aug 12, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

Yeh needless to say, I was not offered any scholarships... They always used to Joke when the opposing team was watching film, if 81 was in at TE, the ball was not coming my way. Many times people who not even cover me. My nick name was Ice Man... Since my hands were like ice...

That was my Junior year - It was Basically Todd Kinchen Left and Todd Kinchen right. Our job was to block basically.

2. lion22

lion22 Geaux Tigers!

Michael Clayton, I went to high school with him:helmet:

3. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

JaMarcus Russell wasnt too shabby.

4. OLE BOGGY

OLE BOGGY Freshman

Anthony Thomas from Winnfield and later UM and the Bears

5. LSU'syourdaddy

LSU'syourdaddy Founding Member

Steve McNair- Mount Olive, MS Class of 1991

I started against him both ways. The Pirates beat us at Mt. Olive 42-0 his senior year, 1990. I think he had an interception from his safety position, the position most D-1 schools recruited him to play.

That dude could (and still can) ball.

6. mtntiger

mtntiger Freshman

Best H. S. Player I've Ever Seen

Orlando Patterson, Callaway H.S., Jackson, MS. The guy wore #11, played middle linebacker and returned kicks. I know of at least three he returned for TD's that were nullified by penalties. He was running back fast, had great hands and hit like a truck.

He signed with MooU and Jackie Sherrill never to be heard from again.

7. JVincent25

JVincent25 Founding Member

8. LSUBud

LSUBud Founding Member

Since the question isn't limited to football --

A friend of mine told me to go see a young phenom in high school baseball. He ASSURED me that this kid would be the next GREAT pro out of New Orleans. I ASSURED him that there was NO WAY you could ever tell how good someone would be strictly by looking at his high school career because you could never tell whether a kid could hit a major league breaking ball.

But, after being bugged about it for a while, I finally relented and agreed to go see the Kid.

The first time I went and saw the Kid, he was 0-0 with 4 walks. As I recall, three of the walks were intentional (1 or 2 with no runners on base) and the fourth was "unintentional/intentional".

So, I went to see him again. This time the Kid went 1-1 with three walks (as I recall it).

From the one time I saw him get to swing the bat, I must admit that he had one of the sweetest swing I'd ever seen. But, I still told my friend that I didn't believe you could tell if a high school player would make it.

The kid finished the year batting around .700 but didn't have enough bats to qualify for the batting championship - eventhough he played virtually every inning of every game. A guy at my high school won the MVP of the City award -- basically because the Kid didn't have enough at bats to qualify. I do remember reading, however, that the Kid set a national high school record for most walks per plate appearance. As I recall it, the Kid walked 3 out of every 4 plate appearances - mostly of the intentional or "unintentional/intentional" variety.

Also, in part because of his not getting to hit that often, the Kid wasn't drafted until late in the baseball draft and went on to play college ball. I would say what college, but that would give it away (CLUE!).

And, YES, he did make it to the Show.

Any guesses?

9. SeN-SaTioN

SeN-SaTioN Founding Member

Kevin Faulk took care of business in HS, and Travis Minor embarrassed me on TV.

10. BB

BB Founding Member

Will Clark?