Best Lead/Bass combo ever

Discussion in 'New Roundtable' started by islstl, May 26, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

OK, that's one. One that I can play.

2. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Who cares, it's in a 7/4 time signature, which is uncommon, and it's widely considered one of the greatest bass riffs of all time. Google greatest bass riffs of all time and try and find a list that money isn't on.

You being able to play it means nothing. Sure Roger is no Les Claypool, but this didn't say who is the greatest bassist. David Gilmour picks up for any slack left by Waters. Gilmour and Waters in my opinion are the greatest song writers of all time and therefore they win this award too because they were the lead and the bassist of Pink Floyd. The greatest band ever assembled. You can disagree with me and I'm sure you will, but that won't ever sway me.

Last edited: May 28, 2015
  3. red55

If you say so. But the thread was the best bass-guitar combo. Gilmour is fabulous but Waters is a pedestrian bassist for all of his composition talents. If one guy could "pick up slack" from a lesser colleague, then Paul McCartney and John Lennon would top the list. I mean, Lennon is a pedestrian guitarist, but his guitar riff in "Day Tripper" is classic. Same with George Harrison and his riff on 'I Feel Fine". Both were good guitarists but not top-notch like McCartney, the most influential bassist in rock history.

Unfortunately the best rock guitarist (Clapton) and the best bassist (McCartney) only performed together at the Concert for George . . . but McCartney played piano, ukulele and acoustic guitar.

4. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I can't identify combos, only certain songs or bassists who stick out in my memory. Bruce Foxton who was partly influenced by James Jamerson.

Paul Simonon, Herbie Flowers, Phil Lynott, and my personal favorite, John Deacon.

Which gives me an opportunity to say eff you, vanilla ice-pussy.

5. LaSalleAve

Do me a favor and Google greatest bass riffs of all time and see if you can find a list that doesn't include Money.

As far as the Beatles are concerned that's not an argument I'll ever be a part of because I never really liked them, and they are widely considered the greatest most influential band of all time, they just aren't my cup of tea. Sure there were a few songs that I liked, but I couldn't just sit down and listen to a Beatles album all the way through. I never liked The Who either or Rush. Now Zeppelin, Stones, and Floyd.... Those 3 I dig completely.

6. red55

The topic wasn't about the greatest riffs of all time.

This tells me all I need to know about where you are coming from. Pity.

7. LaSalleAve

Paul and George are great musicians, John was a great lyricist but they just never did anything for me.

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Top 15 includes Squire, John Entwhistle of the Who, Berry Oakley of the Allman Brothers, Tim Bogart of Cactus, Jack Bruce, Geddy Lee, Zeppelin's John Paul Jones, the guy from Metallica, and even Geezy Butler from Black Sabbath but no Money.

This thread is about Lead/Bass combos so here is the Allman Brothers Mountain Jam. Kinda long but Duane Allman and Berry Oakley have to be in there and Mountain Jam was considered one of the greatest bass solos.

9. Rue Amulet

Rue Amulet Freshman

OK, for you flat picker lovers out there, I give you - a man named Buckethead, live at somebody's house

10. LaSalleAve

Link please, everyone I've looked at has had money.